× Members

PIP descriptor Communication

More
5 years 1 month ago #228082 by Sassykins
PIP descriptor Communication was created by Sassykins
Is Communication descriptor purely the mechanism for speaking as has been explained by DWP to me, would not count for severe anxiety because you have speech, the fact that you cannot speak to new people does not count as this is Engaging with people, yet cant answer phone, or door, order food in restaurant as panics and mind goes blank still does not count?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228103 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP descriptor Communication
M O

I would not say that it is purely about the mechanism of speaking and hearing, I think an argument could be made for mental health issues preventing the claimant from speaking, especially as Mixing with Other People is limited to social situations, however, the level of restriction would have to be very high given the definitions of complex and basic verbal communication and there would definitely be a need for Communications Support, which you don't mention.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sassykins

More
5 years 1 month ago #228119 by Sassykins
Replied by Sassykins on topic PIP descriptor Communication
Thank you Gordon

My son will not communicate at all and puts his head down and relies on me to do his comunication, if I am out with him I cannot even use the bathroom as it would mean someone may talk to him on his own. I explained all this on the PIP form and still zero points, I do all his communication he will not interact he shakes and trembles and feels sick, I was told he can speak to you so there is intelligence and it is purely the mechanism of speech.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228125 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP descriptor Communication
M O

I have to stress that the argument is untested and is more likely to be considered at an appeal than during an MR.

Did your son speak to the assessor during the assessment because if they did it will undermine the argument?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sassykins

More
5 years 1 month ago #228139 by Sassykins
Replied by Sassykins on topic PIP descriptor Communication
He had a paperbased asessment due to distress a f2f would cause, this was requested be me and the GP. He was awarded 19 points for care and 12 points for mobility and whist the score is good does not reflect a true picture, he scored a lot lower in area where he should have scored higher eg nil for communication, 4 for face to face, I used your guide and gave lengthy evidence. I mention this only as when it comes time for review it may impact, which brings me back that he was only awarded 3 years with award after 2 years. Yet GP has just completed form for council that condition is severe and enduring and she does not expect it to change!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.