× Members

PIP review before award finishes in 2021

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #228141 by Andrea54
Hello, I would like to ask for advise please, I work full time, I was awarded 11 points for care in March 2017 and 4 points for mobility, I was going to appeal at the time, however welfare rights informed me that he felt that the assessor had been more than generous due to me working despite, stating that I was having problems walking and how I was suffering from severe pain when walking short distances, prior to going to PIP I had the lower component for DLA care indefinitely, for over 20 years due to an injury in my previous job (elderly care) which caused tenosynovitis and cervical and lumbar spondylosis. Since March 2017 the pain got even worse and I asked to be referred back to the rheumatologist, I received an MRI which showed serious wear and tear on my spine that it was unrepairable, and how I had a bulging disc and L5,S1 and L4, as well as secondary fibromyalgia. I was referred to a spinal consultant and had an injection in to this in July 2018, however it did not work, he discharged me stating he was unable to do anything as it was classed as a negative injection. I also referred my self to a pain management clinic (physio) in April 2018, I have continued with this all of the time, to the extent where they suggested I started the NHS gym to strengthen my muscles etc, however over the last few month I have been experiencing further different symptoms, which they have stated are concerning they sent me as an emergency to A and E to be tested for cauda equina syndrome, this came back ok, they have now stopped me going to the gym booked me in for another MRI due to the concerns they continue to have, now wanting to know if I am suffering from stenosis. Due to all of this and the chronic pain I live with which causes low mood, I was on the sick from work for 4 month as well referring myself for counselling, completed 8 sessions of this due to recurring depression. I have recently returned to work on a phased return as well as a reasonable adjustments in place, I feel due to the ongoing chronic pain etc . I am now struggling at work full time , I don't want to stop work as It gives me structure, stability and purpose. I know I have gone on a bit, but I don't know where to turn in relation to my PIP, I have several consultant letters as well as me asking for a second opinion which will tale place on 23 April 2019 at a different spinal hospital, can somebody please guide me on what I should do, Do my conditions automatically qualify me for increased PIP, as this really takes it out of me, as soon as I start walking the pain is unbearable. Please help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #228163 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP review before award finishes in 2021
A

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

There are no conditions that automatically qualify a claimant for PIP points, it's not your conditions will be assessed but the limitations that result from them in relation to the PIP activities.

Have a look at our PIP Claim guide to see the criteria you will need to meet.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you reasonably think that you can score higher than you did for your current award then you can contact the DWP to inform them that your conditions have deteriorated and that you wish to be assessed.

You need to be aware that the fact that you are still employed will argue against your scoring and you will need to explain how you are able to do this, I know you are off sick at the moment and still have the level of restriction to score the points for an award.

Also, reporting a Change will result in a new PIP2 and almost certainly a face to face assessment, the new Decision will supersede your current award, whatever it is.

If you have more questions then reply to this post and I will do my best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.