× Members

Which esa premiums will apply when my wife reaches

More
5 years 1 month ago #228614 by fwlanza
Hi
Both my wife and I receive enhance rate PIP and I get IR ESA. My wife will reach state pension rate in September. We miss out on pension credit cut off by a few weeks. We get severe disability premium and my wife currently gets Carers Allowance, which she will not get after September.
Which premiums will be applicable to us then?
Many thanks
Fred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228635 by Gordon
Fred

Based on your post, I don't understand how you are receiving the Severe Disability Premium! You do not live alone and your wife is receiving Carers Allowance, I assume against your PIP award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: fwlanza

More
5 years 1 month ago #228648 by fwlanza
Hi Gordon
From what I gather, as we both are in receipt of a qualifying benefit(PIP) and only my wife receives Carers Allowance for me, we get Severe disability premium at lower rate
This is from entitled too.

“Where both members of a couple receive a qualifying disability benefit you will receive a couple's rate of SDP if no-one receives payments of Carer's Allowance (CA) for looking after either of you (if your carer is eligible for CA but does not receive a payment then they do not count). If someone gets Carer's Allowance for one member of the couple - but no one gets Carer's Allowance for their partner - then SDP is paid at a single rate.”

Do you have any answer to what other premiums we get or loose when she finally gets her state pension?
Many thanks
Fred

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #228657 by Gordon
Fred

My apologies I missed that fact that you said both of you have a PIP award.

You don't mention a Carers Premium which should be in payment.

When your wife reaches State Retirement Age her CA payments will cease but she retains an underlining entitlement. So I would expect the following.

Your ESA(IR) will increase as the CA will no longer be deducted, leaving no net change.

The Carers Premium will remain in payment due to the underlying entitlement.

As no one is receiving Carers Allowance against your PIP award you will be entitled to the Couples rate of the Severe Disability Premium.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fwlanza

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.