× Members

PIP Home Assessment (Capita)

More
4 years 11 months ago #229281 by WeeUnicorn
PIP Home Assessment (Capita) was created by WeeUnicorn
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to expect from a PIP home assessment? I’m due to have one this week and I’m feeling quite anxious about it.
I’ve read through the guide on this site which has been really helpful in giving me an idea of what kinds of questions they might ask but I’m not sure if the assessment being in my home changes anything.
Is there a possibility they’ll ask to see other rooms in my home or should it just be exactly like it would be in an assessment centre? I read some advice somewhere that you’re being assessed before they even ask you any questions - if this is true, is it best that (for example) someone else answers the door and brings the assessor into the house? Apologies if that seems overly paranoid, I don’t have anything to hide or any desire to ‘trick’ the assessor into believing I’m worse than I am but I also don’t want to inadvertently do something that will cause them to make assumptions before I’ve even answered a question (if that makes sense!).

If it’s relevant/helpful, I’m in a Capita area and have both mental (anxiety, depression, OCD) and physical disabilities.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #229286 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Home Assessment (Capita)
WeeUnicorn

Home assessments are not significantly different from those carried out in their offices, the questions will be the same and any physical examination will be similar.

Whether you should answer the door depends on your conditions if you are hoping to score for Mobility problems or you have a condition like Social Anxiety then it would definitely be to your advantage to have someone else do it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: WeeUnicorn

More
4 years 11 months ago #229346 by alisp
Replied by alisp on topic PIP Home Assessment (Capita)
WeeUnicorn, you are not being paranoid. Every moment the assessor is on or around your property you should consider yourself as being under observation (even before/after the interview actually officially takes place), and anything you say or do - especially if inconsistent with what you've said on the forms - may be noted down, so yes, it might be worth getting someone else to open the front door. I think it's possible the assessor might want to look around to get an idea of layout and maybe how you get from A to B, and possibly also see if you have any adaptations etc. that might back up your claim of physical disabilities. Do remember also that if you're at home you may feel a bit more relaxed, and some of your conditions may not show up as clearly as they otherwise might.

Carer for a long-term ME/CFS sufferer
The following user(s) said Thank You: WeeUnicorn

More
4 years 11 months ago #229668 by WeeUnicorn
Replied by WeeUnicorn on topic PIP Home Assessment (Capita)
Hi again,

I just wanted to come back to say thank you for the advice - I had my home assessment this week and it wasn't anywhere near as traumatic an experience as I expected. It certainly wasn't a pleasant experience but I think that was more to do with the process and need for assessment than anything the assessor said or did.

Just for anyone reading this in the future before a home assessment, in my case at least, the assessor made no attempt to see other rooms of the house. The people accompanying me showed her into the room we chose to do the assessment in and there was no mention of wanting to see anywhere else. As I said though, maybe this depends on the assessor or the claimant's individual circumstances.

I obviously don't have the report or the decision yet so I'm not assuming that the result will be positive, however nice the assessor was! I'm just glad that this assessment is over and that I didn't have anything like the horrible experiences that I've read about with others.

In terms of requesting a copy of the assessor's report, when should I do that? Do I need to wait for the letter with the decision or can I request it a certain number of days after the assessment? I think I've seen some people mention getting a text to say DWP have their report - is that when I should request a copy?

Thanks again for the help and for the guides.

More
4 years 11 months ago #229703 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Home Assessment (Capita)

WeeUnicorn wrote: In terms of requesting a copy of the assessor's report, when should I do that? Do I need to wait for the letter with the decision or can I request it a certain number of days after the assessment? I think I've seen some people mention getting a text to say DWP have their report - is that when I should request a copy?

Thanks again for the help and for the guides.

You should be able to request a copy of the report now by contacting the DWP office dealing with your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #229725 by potter
Replied by potter on topic PIP Home Assessment (Capita)
Hi, had a home assessment on 20th February ,was told I would get a result within six weeks but still waiting, has anyone got any idea of why it's taking so long? It's very worrying.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.