× Members

ESA Assessment

More
4 years 11 months ago #229290 by Lynn
ESA Assessment was created by Lynn
Could anybody advise please? I am a 65 year old woman, with a retirement date of 6th September. I have been receiving ESA for several years but have been called for a face to face assessment. I want to be prepared for any outcome but am unsure if I could appeal on failure because within three to four months I'd no longer be eligible (over working age) and therefore presumably unable to get 'fit notes'. I am entirely dependent upon the ESA income and need to have a source of income up until my pension is due.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #229295 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Assessment
Lynn

Yes, you can appeal (following an MR) but the reality is that a hearing is not going to be convened before you reach retirement age, that does not mean that you should not pursue an appeal, you can still receive back payment of any award that a Tribunal panel might make from the date of any Fit for Work Decision and when you reach State Retirement Age.

If you need the money then you have two options depending on your circumstances, you can claim Universal Credit but it can take five weeks for payments to start although you can receive loans to cover this period.

Or, you may be able to claim Pension Credit, you can make an early claim three months in advance of your reaching SRA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #229304 by Lynn
Replied by Lynn on topic ESA Assessment
Thank you. I have not come across that information about Pension Credit anywhere else and was in fact informed that it was only available after pension age. I do need the income as I live alone and have no other source of support.

More
4 years 11 months ago #229306 by Lynn
Replied by Lynn on topic ESA Assessment
Just been informed that a claim can be made early for Pension credit but I won't be eligible until pension date, i.e. 6th September

More
4 years 11 months ago #229315 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Assessment
Lynn

A Decision will be about 4-6 weeks after the assessment and an MR is probably going to be 6-8 weeks from the day that you make the request.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lynn

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.