× Members

Hello, sad to be back

More
5 years 1 day ago #229483 by Donna2512
Hello, sad to be back was created by Donna2512
Posted a couple of years ago now about the traumatic switch from a lifetime award at HRM and HRC DLA for my son who has autism. Eventually at Tribunal got the equivalent award in fact Tribunal stopped once he had enough points but that followed being awarded just four points at assessment and no increase at MR.
Back this time as it's my daughter's turn to transfer and I am eager to avoid a repeat performance. Only joined after I had filled in the forms last time.
Daughter also has autism and similar needs although know from experience now that that doesn't mean an award. So give me your very best tips on how to not make a pig's ear of the transfer please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 day ago #229502 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Hello, sad to be back
Mutty

There's no magic formula but think about the following.

- Don't think about the claim in DLA terms, the criteria for PIP is very different.
- Read and understand that criteria, see our PIP Claim guide.
- The activities need to be completed reliably and on the majority of days, these terms are defined in the guide.
- Bring your daughter's limitations to the Descriptors don't try it the other way around, it won't work
- It's not enough to meet a particular Descriptor you must also explain why any lower scoring ones are not applicable.

If you have any specific questions then reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donna2512, TheMerlin486

More
4 years 11 months ago #229696 by Donna2512
Replied by Donna2512 on topic Hello, sad to be back
Thank you Gordon, you were so helpful last time. I think where I struggle is that my daughter doesn't actually do anything as her anxiety is all consuming so things like cooking, in theory she could make a simple meal although never has as there is no physical reason for her not to and yes she can read and could follow a recipe but she doesn't and no supervision or encouragement changes that.
Likewise with bathing, yes in theory she could run herself a bath but in reality she doesn't and if I didn't she wouldn't bathe. She doesn't get dressed, she wears pyjamas all the time. She could get dressed but doesn't, she could get her own clean pyjamas out but doesn't. It's this that I'm not sure how I should illustrate.
She doesn't leave the house, she hasn't been to school in eighteen months, psychiatrist, psychologist and PMHW all visit her here but when she did go out she would only walk to the car and then get out of the car outside wherever we were visiting. She has never gone anywhere unaccompanied. In theory she could have as she doesn't have any physical limitations or learning difficulties but in practice the anxiety and the autism is all encompassing and very limiting.

More
4 years 11 months ago #229727 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Hello, sad to be back
Mutty

The criteria for DLA is a lot less precisely defined as that for PIP so you really need to pay attention to the wording of the PIP Descriptors to avoid providing a generic answer that ends up scoring no points.

Most of the activities have a need for Prompting, so this should give you an immediate route for you to score points but her scoring higher may be difficult if she has no physical problems with the activities.

How does her failure to do the activities manifest itself, does she simply do nothing, does she actively refuse, if the latter does this become aggressive? You don't need to answer here but I would include the information on the form.

Don't assume if you have said something for one activity that those assessing her will assume it is applicable to another activity, you need to provide the information everywhere it is relevant.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: magdelena

More
4 years 11 months ago #230051 by Donna2512
So used the guides to the letter (can see now where I badly went wrong last time) form was received yesterday (recorded delivery) Phone call from IASS today wanting to clarify a couple of things but my daughter won't need a face to face, they haven't even contacted the health professionals as I asked CAMHS yesterday for a report but they are sending report to DWP today for decision in six to eight weeks.
So the dreaded wait now but could I dare to be hopeful that we might get an award if they recognise that coming here would cause real distress?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
4 years 11 months ago #230170 by Donna2512
Gordon Should I snd the letter from CAMHS that I will get in the next week or so to DWP or should I not bother? Fundamentally CAMHS were writing to say that my daughter didn't leave the house and any medical input was done at home and also that any F2F would cause distress and she may not even make it out of her room. Obviously now there won't be F2F as it will be a paper assessment do I still need to send CAMHS report in?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.