× Members

Change of circumstances

More
4 years 11 months ago #229950 by Janjay
Change of circumstances was created by Janjay
Good morning. My daughter has been on DLA since she was 18, now in her 30s. Also in ESA support group.
Last year she had a baby, unexpected because of her health but wonderful too! With her health suffering and problems with the father that involved social services, I didn't get round to informing DWP abt the baby. I usually deal with these things for her but In fact I never even thought about it at first.
It's now 6 months and I keep putting it off because I'm afraid of the consequences. I know that doesn't help.
She hasn't even claimed family allowance for her baby for the same reasons- wasn't uppermost in our heads then haven't dared to.
Is she likely to be in real trouble because of what really has been my fault? Should we notify and try to explain? Does the fact she has lost money by not claiming for the baby at least make it clear we haven't been trying to abuse the system in any way?
Thank you for any advice you may have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #229972 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Change of circumstances
Janjay

I don't see why it is going to be a problem but the longer you leave it the more likely that it is.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230700 by Janjay
Replied by Janjay on topic Change of circumstances
Thank you for your reply Gordon. I've been offline so haven't been able to reply.
When we inform DWP will it trigger a reassessment? My daughter was assessed and put in the support group in Jan 2018. She hasn't been assessed for PIP yet but is still on DLA. She gets the SD benefit so presumably won't be moved to U C which was one of out fears.
We're so nervous about reassessment or having to change to PIP so want to avoid if possible, like most
people!
Is there a way of putting things that we should avoid? Obviously we are informing she's had a baby. Will they think that means she must be better? Her condition has actually worsened but we don't want to say that if it leads to reassessment, even if it would mean more money.
Sorry for the rambling msg. Not too good atm. Thank you so much for the work you do. Don't know how we would all manage without this site.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230707 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Change of circumstances
Janjay

So it sounds like she has been assessed since she had the baby which should mean that another assessment should not be required but I can't guarantee this.

There's no right on wrong things to put in a letter to the DWP, just explain when she gave birth and leave it to the DWP to sort out if they want to take any further action, I don; think that they will but you may have created suspicion by not contacting them before and I can't say what the results of this might be.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230736 by Janjay
Replied by Janjay on topic Change of circumstances
Thank you Gordon. She was actually assessed just before she became pregnant.
It does seem stupid that I haven't done this yet I know. It just got forgotten about and since then I've just been nervous and worried and not addressed it. I seem to have developed some kind of phobia in relation to the DWP! Not joking either and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
Thank you again.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.