× Members

Lack of insigjt

More
4 years 11 months ago #230104 by CAW
Lack of insigjt was created by CAW
My son had an accident several years ago, had head injuries also some mobility problems, epilepsy. He will take medication for the epilepsy, but has almost a complete lack of insight into his problems, on Times short term memory loss. agitation, possible paranoia, rigidity, routines, repetion. Obsessions etc., when asked says he is fine, he gets agitated and quite aggressive when it is suggested otherwise. He will not except outside help at all. No carer, social worker and refused to visit doctor except for medication for epilepsy. He is an adult, has fluctuating capacity everyone is so afraid of Data Protection, thry won't speak to me without his permission. I, discretely, do as much as I can to help. In fact I do an awful lot for him again he denies this says he does everything himself. He has to transfer from DLA to PIP, how on earth can the form be completed correctly? He is arguing and getting stressed every page or two!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230149 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Lack of insigjt
C

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Who is completing the form and is there medical evidence that he lacks a proper understanding of his conditions?

Have you considered becoming his appointee?

www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

It may be too late to help with your immediate problems but may be something to consider.

Is his GP up to speed with his problems and willing to help?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230428 by CAW
Replied by CAW on topic Lack of insigjt
I have tried, without success, to alter my name, - oh dear!! Very little medical evidence as "nothing wrong with me", so won't see his doctor. Although doctor is aware of his problems as we have told him and he knows about the head injures, epilepsy etc., He won't let me be his apointee as, "nothing wrong with me, I can manage" !!!!
I am anxious to alter the name shown, what can I Do?

More
4 years 11 months ago #230442 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Lack of insigjt
CAW

I see you have managed to change your name :)

Who's completing the form?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230476 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Lack of insigjt
Hi CAW
As Gordon says it may be too late for you to be appointed your son's appointee, for the purposes of this process. However, I thought I would tell you about something that has worked for me. I took a two-sentence letter to my doctor signed by my husband that said he agreed I could discuss his care and act on his behalf. This is enough for me to make appointments and go and discuss my husband's condition without him. (He suffers from paranoia among other things and his GP has not seen him for ten years now.)
If your son would agree this it could help. It may be challenging, but I would tell him his benefits are at risk - this may be enough for this process. I don't know how well you know your GP, but I always take them a draft copy of the letter I need for the PIP form (just confirming his condition and the impact it has on physical and mental health. You'd be surprised that GPs are often willing to accept the letter as is and get a secretary to type a version because it saves them time. Obviously, not all will agree but mine did as did a couple of consultants and that's what I successfully submitted.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.