× Members

ESA TO UC TRANSFER POSTPONED

More
4 years 11 months ago #230198 by mixman09
ESA TO UC TRANSFER POSTPONED was created by mixman09
Hello,

My name is Liam and I'm looking for some help/advice on Universal Credit.

I'm intending to Move from York to Manchester later this year and I had read in the newsletter back in January that only 10,000 people are being moved onto Universal Credit this year. Does mean that people who like me who claiming Housing Benefit and move between Local Authorities will still have to move onto Universal Credit?

Also once I've moved do my Benefits stop during the 5 week period before the first Universal Credit payment? I've been lead to believe that City of Council and Manchester/Salford/Trafford etc council will endeavour to make things as smooth as possible and that there shouldn't be a pause is Housing Benefit payments but that this can happen. I don't know what would happen with my other benefits PIP and ESA (Support Group).

Any advice and info is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230207 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA TO UC TRANSFER POSTPONED
L

The article you refer to is talking about the Managed migration of claimants to UC, your move would come under the heading of a Natural migration so it is possible that you would have to claim UC.

PIP is not a UC benefit so will not be affected.

If you are only receiving Contribution Based ESA then your ESA will not be affected.

If you are receiving any Income Related ESA then this could be migrated to UC, your SG award will be carried over as an LCWRA award, this is a manual process and can take a couple of weeks to be done.

However, if you are receiving the Severe Disability Premium as part of your ESA(IR), it will show as "money because you are severely disabled" on your annual Entitlement Letter, then you are currently barred from claiming UC and it would be a new claim for Housing Benefit with your ESA(IR) unaffected.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mixman09

More
4 years 11 months ago #230536 by mixman09
Replied by mixman09 on topic ESA TO UC TRANSFER POSTPONED
Hello Gordon,

Thank you for replying my message I will into everything you wrote as I'm unsure what of ESA I'm on.

I have read guides to UC on both entiltedto.co.uk and CAB websites but I'm a bit unclear on how the reduction affect my overall amount of benefit. It is clear what is not taken into count/affected but it isn't clear how they calculate the reduction if I was moved to UC. Could you please explain this to me?

Thank you.

Liam

More
4 years 11 months ago #230547 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA TO UC TRANSFER POSTPONED
L

It is very difficult for me to answer your question as I have no idea what you are actually receiving now, try putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230717 by mixman09
Replied by mixman09 on topic ESA TO UC TRANSFER POSTPONED
Hi Gordon,

Sorry about that. I have now gone over my most Benefits letters and it looks I'm barred from UC. I will checking this with CAB.

Thank you again for all your help.

Liam

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.