× Members

Wearing of eye patch

More
4 years 11 months ago #230738 by Becky
Wearing of eye patch was created by Becky
Hi guys, I am in the process of moving from DLA to PIP and today have received my PIP form. I am currently reading my way through the (benefits and work) guide to filling out my form and have a question regarding aids. I have MS and have been permanently blinded in one eye and have visual field defect in the other eye. I wear an eye patch over my blind eye as I have a fuzzy pattern in that eye that superimposes over the top of my vision in my good eye (. Without the patch I struggle with feeling disorientated and overwhelmed, both in my home and outside. I wear the patch for everything except showering and sleeping. Without the patch, I become dizzy and cannot see well as everything is distorted much worse than with the patch. Is my patch classed as an 'aid'?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230740 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Wearing of eye patch
Becky

I think that you have a good argument that it is.

An aid is anything that enables you to complete an activity where they would not be able to without it, the thing has to be specifically designed for the purpose.

Your patch seems to meet this requirement but don't assume that those assessing you will understand this, you need to explain in detail why you need the patch and how you would be limited if you did not use it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Becky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.