× Members

Dwp contact

More
4 years 11 months ago #230792 by CAW
Dwp contact was created by CAW
Sorry to send another post so soon but I am beginning to panic. If the DWP needs to contact mg son it would have to be in writing. He will not have a mobile phone. Does not answer calls on his landline. He uses it, generally to call me. If I ring he does not answer but will usually ring me back, as he can recognize my number. Oh and he won't let us fix him up with a telephone answering machine. He is just not comfortable on the phone as he csnnot process information quickly and prefers to read it. Will they accept my telephone number if I explain the difficulty?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230806 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Dwp contact
HI CAW
It is highly unlikely that the DWP will want to contact him, but I would add your number to the covering letter and explain why that is the only number they can use. If you're not his official appointee - should they phone on your number they may then not actually speak to you, because he's not there to confirm he has given your permission. Reiterate they should make any contact in writing.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CAW

More
4 years 11 months ago #230872 by CAW
Replied by CAW on topic Dwp contact
I don't have power of attorney. However when my son was going through a particularly bad period he did sign a letter authorising me to speak with his doctor, consultant, or any health care professional on his behalf. He also signed one agreeing for me, when necessary, to deal with his Housing Association. Do you think a copy of that to the DWP would be useful.?

More
4 years 11 months ago #230880 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Dwp contact
CAW

I'm afraid I doubt the DWP will accept these documents you really need to be his appointee to act on his behalf without your son having to confirm what you are doing every time. See

www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #230897 by CAW
Replied by CAW on topic Dwp contact
Well that is the problem!! My son's condition is such that he has very little insight into his complex conditions. He does have capacity (officially) albeit fluctuating capacity. He likes to maintain, at least the illusion of, independence. That is why his stock answer is "I'm ok". He would not accept me being his appointee, although i deal with most of his affairs. He loses forms, will not answer phone calls, becomes very confused but is still deemed to have capacity!!
I can only hope that DWP will write to him if further information is needed. Otherwise it will be an even longer protracted process.

More
4 years 11 months ago #230901 by Kab
Replied by Kab on topic Dwp contact
CAW

You can send a letter in for you to deal with your son's current claim, you have to send a signed by him, copy for each claim.

Historically I have done this for each and every contact with DWP on my OH's behalf. I have only recently officially been made his appointee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CAW

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.