× Members

New Style ESA Contribution based newbie

More
4 years 11 months ago #231082 by Mrs Bloxby
New Style ESA Contribution based newbie was created by Mrs Bloxby
Good Morning

I would be really grateful for any advice you can give me.

I have had to take early retirement from my job due to my deteriorating health issues. I'm presently on long term sick leave with a retirement date of 30 June.

I have a degenerative disc problem in my neck, it causes acute pain, numbness, mobility issues etc. I have been losing my hearing for 9 years and a month go lost all year and am now profoundly deaf. I receive PIP although my review is due. I have been advised to apply for New style ESA Contribution based.

I'm a bit like a rabbit in headlights with this, no,idea what I'm doing. My GP supports early retirement and is presently providing sick notes for my employer. Will she still need to supply sick notes after 30 June? If I'm retired will she give me a sick note??

Do I wait until after 30 June to apply for the benefit?

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #231109 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New Style ESA Contribution based newbie
B

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You cannot make a claim for NS ESA is you are receiving Statutory Sick Pay and will have to wait until this ends but if you are not receiving SSP then you can make the claim now.

The issuing of a Fit Note is a medical decision, your having taken early retirement should not be a factor.

See our ESA Claim guides for details of the criteria you will need to meet for an award.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

If you have further questions then please reply to this post.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #231124 by Mrs Bloxby
Replied by Mrs Bloxby on topic New Style ESA Contribution based newbie
Hi Gordon

Thank you for the info.

I have a question re SSP, I am presently receiving full salary while on sick leave and this will be the case until I retire on 30 June.

I appreciate this might sound a silly question but does that mean I am getting SSP or doesn't SSP come into it?

Thank you.

More
4 years 11 months ago #231135 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New Style ESA Contribution based newbie
B

You need to speak to your Human Resources department, it is possible that the SSP is being paid as part of your normal pay.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.