× Members

PIP form questions 13 and 14 re: Parkinson’s

More
4 years 11 months ago #231670 by magdelena
Hello everyone,

I need a bit of help figuring out how to answer these questions because Parkinson’s is so complex and there is a lot of crossover. The following bulletpoints are his problems:

* Gets panic attacks if he ventures out alone, especially in crowded areas. This is partly due to festination (more anon) and partly due to fear of verbal abuse and escalation because people assume he is drunk.
* This anxiety is exacerbated by being alone outdoors. He fears talking to strangers (we live in a rough area) especially because anxiety exacerbates his speech problems. If he got lost while out alone (highly likely) his speech would become indecipherable and he would be unable to ask for help.
* He gets very easily confused especially by instructions, information and directions (possibly due to medication induced cognitive/brain fog...)
* He falls asleep at the drop of a hat (side effect of medication) and this somnolence is clearly a problem if alone.
* He has hallucinations (another side effect of meds) and unsurprisingly this leads to a disturbed state of mind. A very real reason not to go out alone.
* He’s experiencing electric shock type disturbances in his brain (currently under investigation) which results in extreme light-headedness and fainting.
* He has postural hypotension (typical in Parkinson’s). This leads to dizziness, blurred vision and fainting on a couple of occasions.
* His physical movements are much slower than normal (Bradykinesia) which results in the distinctive Parkinson’s slow, shuffling walk with small steps.
* He has gait impairments, one of which is called ‘freezing’. This is a very common symptom of Parkinson’s where the person completely freezes/gets stuck (due to the loss of automatic movement) and this is exacerbated by crowds, unfamiliar places, when tired, when rushed, by busy streets, when turning, doorways (revolving doors are a nightmare), when approaching one’s destination such as the kerb and/or by a change in terrain, and finally by certain, specific floor/road surfaces or textures.
* This has lead to falling.
* He suffers from Festination, which is the flip side of freezing. Both states are marked by a complete loss of motor control. With festination motor movements speed up.
* He has balance problems, which has lead to falls.
* He has dystonia and muscle stiffness/rigidity which can make moving around painful.
* He has tremor.

He clearly is not safe and only ever goes out with me. He does sometimes use a wheelchair but does his best to walk unaided (in Parkinson’s the use it or lose motto is especially relevant).

I’d appreciate any thoughts on how to carve this up?
Or should I describe it all in both questions and let them sort it out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #231693 by Gordon
magdelena

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

The Moving Around activity is solely concerned with the physical issues that the claimant would have with standing and then walking a given distance.

In both cases, the activities need to be completed reliably and on the majority of days.

See our PIP Claim guide for more details.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #231721 by magdelena
Replied by magdelena on topic PIP form questions 13 and 14 re: Parkinson’s
Thank you Gordon. I appreciate your reply a lot but I’m still a bit lost. I’ve read the members guides but find it hard to parse up a condition as global as Parkinson’s’ which has so many aspects and variables.

Are they any other members with some experience of this?

More
4 years 11 months ago #231730 by Gordon
magdelena

It strikes me that you are trying to match the Descriptors to the claimant's symptoms, this will never work, you need to match the limitations to the Descriptors.

So separate the physical issues from the mental health ones. the former will be applicable to the Moving Around activity and the latter to Going Out. In particular for Going Out understand what the activity is, for example; following a route, whatever the reason they cannot do this, you need to start from this point, so

"I can't follow a route because when I am in crowded areas I suffer a panic attack"

For the mental health issues, you are going to need there to be "overwhelming psychological distress", anxiety will not be sufficient.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: magdelena

More
4 years 11 months ago #231739 by magdelena
Replied by magdelena on topic PIP form questions 13 and 14 re: Parkinson’s
Thank you Gordon, that is really helpful. I see what you’re saying now. It’s easy to get flummoxed and not be able to see the wood for the trees. :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.