× Members

DLA to PIP success but what about the point scores

More
4 years 11 months ago #232083 by Flappy the bat
This is the first of two DLA to PIP applications submitted one each for my twins, to have come back.
My daughter is awarded enhanced on both counts for 10 years.

It is the right deicision as far as the award rates go and I am pleased to see that this time, for my daughter at least, no tribunal.

As both of my kids have been in receipt of DLA from I think 2 or 3 ( when they weren old enough to claim the mobility componant as stated by the DWP because of their ages), Ive had my fair share of DLA applications, MR's and tribunals as neither of them was ever awarded anything for longer than a few years.

I know what is right for my kids - so I view this PIP application process as another hurdle where ultimately the aim is to secure what they each should rightfully receive which is enhanced, both counts for each of my kids.

My approach to PIP was not based on whether the kids get this award, but what kind of messing around im going to have to deal with in order to get to that point ( by that I mean MR's which in my experience have never resulted in any changes in my kids decisions once, the appeals process in general dragging on etc).

So I am satisfed when the brown envelope arrives to see the result but also deeply concerned by the inaccuracies of the point scoring.

I am not certain of the number of forum members here who are in similar circumstances where not only the result but the accuracy of the point scoring matters- but thats me.

Were it a case of the point scoring being a little on the low side- thats different perhaps, but the accompanying letter which provides the breakdown of this unpleasant point scoring business is shockingly way off base.

To put it in perspective - if I wasnt here anymore and my daughter was then ward of the state- so assessments of provision and need become fundamental- and representatives referred to this DWP point scoring as a guide to what her provisioning should be- my daughter would not only be at risk immediately she'd be perilously at risk.

The last DLA convened appeal I went to for my kids reminds me of this. Where I was sat facing a panel of 3 professionals and there was then the practise of having a DWP rep sit in (adversarial as far as I was concerned).

At the end of the appeal, both kids secured higher in everything- as was appropriate but on the way out of the meeting room the DWP rep woman said to me once we'd cleared the meeting room doors and were walking down the hall- "I'm suprised at that. it culd have gone either way..."

At the time I was utterly astonished, I remember thinking (but saying nothing) how completely flabberghasted I was that this woman who was present for everything, all of the questions and discussions between myself and the panel members could have been in the same room as me and actually say that.

Back then, I had the assurance I suppose of the panel members knowing - understanding- "getting" the actual reality of the kids lives . I could just tell from speaking to them and I could also tell that they knew, from their questions and my answers, that they knew I was simply telling them the truth.

So I suppose, unlike this situation, I left that face2face appeal, with an assurance that although the DWP were evidently on another planet as fas as perception was concerned, that ultimately the medical proff's understood.

This here and now- I dont have that. Yes the award decision is correct. No the point scoring is not- it is way,way off.Risk to life if you actually relied upon it to guide youre provisioning for my daughter - way off.

And that doesnt sit right with me.

The bref discussion I have had with my partner has been that i will not appeal it because ultimately the award is correct. But I have bog problems with the DWP representation of my daughter being dangerously wrong.

Do I have any options for this? Its a scenario I wasnt expecting anticipating and I cannot find mention of it from the brief research I have already undertaken.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #232086 by BIS
Hi Flappy

If you don't agree with the point scoring, then you have the right to appeal, but you run the risk of them changing the award altogether. You have already stated this is not what you want to do.

I understand that you have concerns about your daughter's future when the description does not meet the reality of your daughter's life. I know other people who have had a similar concern. I can only say that you should keep the current records and annotate with all the areas that you think are incorrect, so when it is up for review, whether it be yourself or someone else having to write you know the exact areas where you disagree and you'll put even more emphasis on these areas. Remember another time an assessor may have quite a different view.

You say the report is 'dangerously wrong', but the DWP are providing the money, not the care and your daughter has been awarded the highest rate. I'm not suggesting it is right, but your only option is to appeal - something you do not want to do.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kab

More
4 years 11 months ago #232093 by Gordon
Flappy the bat

I echo BIS's words, in fact, an MR and certainly an appeal may not even be accepted given the award that has already been made. With a ten year award, the likelihood of the assessment report having any validity when the claim is reassessed is very small.

Congratulations on the award.

Gordon

Tags: @RESULT @PIP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #232184 by Flappy the bat
Replied by Flappy the bat on topic DLA to PIP success but what about the point scores
Good points.
I'm not rocking the award decision boat that's for sure.
Thanks for the input.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris