× Members

PIP assessment report and going forward

More
4 years 11 months ago #232159 by Fred
Having received a copy of my PIP assessment which I had requested, it looks the HCP has advised standard rate care and mobility. The length of award is very short despite the assessor stating my condition is likely to deteriorate over time but not significantly in the short term.

However, I had expected higher rate for both and a longer term award. As I write this, I am going through the points where I believe I have been offered insufficient points/criteria and have written a response to each explaining why.

My question is I have not yet received a decision from the decision maker/manager, what is the best course of action to avoid going into mandatory reconsideration and possibly tribunal? Can I ring the DWP and ask to speak to the decision maker before any decision is made or should this be in writing?

Any help as always is much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #232161 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP assessment report and going forward
Hi Fred

I am afraid that you have to wait until you receive your decision letter and then if you disagree with the decision the next stage is requesting a mandatory reconsideration. There is no other way. The DWP will not allow you to speak to the decision maker, nor will they take any notice of correspondence from you trying to challenge a medical assessment prior to the decision being made.

Do check out the guide on putting in a mandatory consideration and how to challenge the medical report.

PIP Appeals

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #232165 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP assessment report and going forward
Fred

I am afraid I have to disagree with BIS on your writing to the Decision Maker, I won't suggest the success rate is high but we have had members influence the Decision by doing so.

There is a narrow window for you to do this is you choose, stick to issues that lead directly to your scoring points, if you do challenge the assessor's opinions then do so by referencing your own testimony and evidence wherever you can.

I would explain, as a first paragraph, that this is not a request for a Mandatory Reconsideration but you reserve the right to make an MR request if the Decision is not what you think is justified.

The letter needs to go to the DWP office dealing with your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #232178 by Fred
Replied by Fred on topic PIP assessment report and going forward
Thanks Gordon, I have the crux of the argument written down today, I will format this into a letter and attempt to print and post out tomorrow.

Per a phone call I had on Friday, I was told I would receive a progress letter which I have not received so like you say, there may be a small window.

In the meantime, I will try to find on the forum where this has worked in the past.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris