× Members

Problems with PIP Assessor

More
4 years 10 months ago #232419 by Julie
Problems with PIP Assessor was created by Julie
A friend has had two attempts at a PIP assessment. Both times the assessor has been extremely obstructive - she stopped the second one, claiming my friend was being argumentative when actually she was too distressed to continue. The appointment was being recorded and it seemed as if the assessor was desperate to find an excuse to stop it. I have two questions:

- I need the EXACT criteria for who a claimant can bring to an assessment, recording it etc.

- the support worker wants a paper based assessment, as my friend is not well enough to go through another f2f. What are the chances of getting one?

Any information gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232421 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Problems with PIP Assessor
Hi Julie

The DWP say that the recording of medicals is not part of the assessment process. They also say that claimants are welcome to bring their own recording equipment, with the huge proviso that it must be a dual tape or CD recorder, that they must inform Independent Assessment Services or Capita in advance and they must give a copy of the recording to the health professional at the end of the assessment.

You cannot use a digital recorder such as a mobile phone.

A member has reported problems if the media is not new, so make sure that the tapes or CDs are still shrink-wrapped and opened in the presence of the assessor.

As for someone accompanying a claimant to an assessment - IAS says " It can be easier to talk openly about your health condition or disability if you have some moral support, so we encourage you to have a companion with you. This could be a friend, family member, carer or support worker."

Capita says: "Whether your consultation takes place at the consultation centre or in your own home, you are welcome to have another person with you; it could be a family member, friend, support worker or carer."

About 95% of claimants are currently being assessed face to face. To get a paper-based review a claimant would need backing from the GP to say why a face to face would be detrimental to their physical and/or mental health and pose a risk to themselves or others.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Julie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.