× Members

PIP ASSESSMENT AT HOME

More
4 years 9 months ago #232420 by Welsh Lass
PIP ASSESSMENT AT HOME was created by Welsh Lass
Hello, I am my adult daughters carer. She is 38 and was awarded DLA indefinitely, but now we are in the process of changing over. I used your forms to help fill in the PIP application.
What I wondered is this? As my daughters illness is a mixture of mobility and learning difficulty,. I usually explain what is being said, but even so Im not sure if she fully understands that. Am I allowed to answer the questions for her, or must I let her try to interpret what is being asked, and then allow her to try to answer? This is know will be distressing for her.
Also can both me and her dad be in out lounge with her and whoever is assessing her this Monday.
Our daughter has recently meet the Severe Conditions Criteria of ESA but we only have a email from our MP saying that the DLA are emailing Capita to tell them. I dont know if they will have that information on Monday morning, let alone take that into consideration.
Thank you for supporting everyone so well on this site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #232423 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP ASSESSMENT AT HOME
Hi G

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

How much you are allowed to speak will depend on the assessor. Unfortunately, they are not consistent even if you are an appointee. Hopefully, you will have already explained when you submitted the form that you often need to speak for your daughter or explain things. You can try saying this again when the assessor arrives - and before you show them into the room. I can't advise you exactly how to handle it - you know your daughter and you will have to work with your gut instinct on the day. They often insist on the claimant speaking first so they get to make judgments about their ability to communicate.

The guidelines (from Capita or IAS) talk about one person being there to accompany a claimant, but I know of three people who have had two - and if you need to assist your daughter, then your husband can be there to take notes.

The Assessors only take note of information they have at the time - so as you say they may not have information about the SCC for ESA.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Welsh Lass

More
4 years 9 months ago #232575 by Welsh Lass
Replied by Welsh Lass on topic PIP ASSESSMENT AT HOME
Just to say my daughter had her PIP assessment at home yesterday. It was a lot nicer experience than we had imagined, perhaps we were lucky with our HC person. The health care professional, had read all my filled in paperwork, and new everything that he need to know. He allowed her Dad to sit through the interview along with me and my daughter. We will have to wait now for our letter. Thank you for all your help. I will of course update this thread when I know the outcome of her interview.

More
4 years 9 months ago #232582 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP ASSESSMENT AT HOME
Hi WL

Good luck with the assessment, if your daughter is turned down don't give up, the next stage would be to ask for copy of HC report and then apply for a Mandatory Reconsideration, we have some very good guides to help you, let us know how you got on.

Gary

@PIP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.