× Members

Permitted work and ESA

More
4 years 10 months ago #232461 by Henry01
Permitted work and ESA was created by Henry01
I have bipolar and severe anxiety. I have been claiming ESA support group for years. I am still not exactly fit for work but I was thinking of trying just a few hours paid work. This would be limited to cleaning in the evening. I cannot cope with people so this would enable me to work alone. So you think they would use this against me and say I am fit for work and stop my benefit. I want to do it for self esteem. I really couldn’t do any job they grow at me so am scared to take the risk. Any advice would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232471 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Permitted work and ESA
Hi Marie

If you are thinking of starting paid work of 16 hours or more a week, you should seek advice about benefit entitlement from an advice agency. You could ask for a ‘better-off’ calculation to find out if you will be financially better off in work and identify the benefits you should be applying for.

Starting a job may suggest that your care or mobility needs have changed, so your benefit entitlement could be reconsidered.

If you are getting employment and support allowance (ESA) or national insurance (NI) credits paid because of your limited capability for work, you are allowed to do some ‘permitted work’.

There is no ‘permitted work’ for Universal Credit.

Remember that once you come off ESA you cannot go back on and therefore any premiums you had such as SDP, you will loose, therefore it is very important to seek advice about permitted work so that you do not loose any benefit entitlements.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.