× Members

PIP question 14a

More
4 years 10 months ago #232534 by magdelena
PIP question 14a was created by magdelena
Is there any downside to ticking the “It varies” box on this question?

Due to the nature of Parkinson’s, my partner can have trouble walking from the moment he stands up, yet on other days can manage around 20-50 metres before the symptoms really kick in. I’ve drafted detailed explanations for the Extra Information bit and have ticked “Sometimes” in answer to q14 b and c.

I’m wondering if it is best to tick “Between 20 and 50 metres” given the reliability aspect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232539 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP question 14a
Hi Magdelena

I would make sure that you are very clear in what you are saying and be careful not to muddy the waters. If your partner's Parkinson's inhibits his movement, because of the balance issues, possible shaking, spasms and he is at risk of falling, then it may be argued that he cannot walk to the standard expected.

The legal test for moving around requires you to stand and then move (walk), so if your partner has problems getting up then you should document these as well.If he walks slowly then it must take him at least twice the time to cover the 20m as a healthy person would, this could be down to the speed of his walking but could also be the result of having to stop.He must be able to repeat the distance, so if he could walk it once but not then be able to walk it again within a reasonable timescale then you should be classed as unable to repeat the activity.

He must be able to walk the distance he can, reliably and on the majority of days, both these terms are defined in the PIP Claim guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

It is up to you then make a judgment on whether you tick sometimes or no.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: magdelena

More
4 years 10 months ago #232570 by magdelena
Replied by magdelena on topic PIP question 14a
Thank you BIS. That’s helped me clarify things.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.