× Members

Enquiry from DWP following PIp form submission

More
4 years 11 months ago #232535 by gullsfan
Hi,

I have recently filled in a PIp form on behalf of my partner who has secondary progressive ms. Having previously used your excellent guides to get an Esa decision overturned at tribunal and then dla rates increased I wasn't phased by filling in the form but I wouldn't ever take anything for granted.
My partner recieved a telephone call this morning from her MS nurse who had been contacted by the DWP in relation to the claim. The MS nurse was asking my partner whether she was able to cut up food, how she managed to shower and things like this and stated that she had to ring the DWP back with the answers. I'm gobsmacked by this because these questions were comprehensively answered on the form and the MS nuse couldn't possibly answer the questions in the first place.
The person from the DWP told the MS Nurse that she was going to ring my partner but didn't because she thought that things might get be a bit heated (What ??)
Seems completely bizarre to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #232536 by BIS
Hi TL

The DWP do sometimes contact named professionals to confirm some of the details on the claim form, even though the professional may have no knowledge of such things as preparing food.

I would not be concerned about the fact they didn't contact your partner because they said 'things might get a bit heated'. It's an unfortunate term of phrase, but you weren't on that call and they might just have meant they had no wish to cause your partner stress.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #232821 by gullsfan
Replied by gullsfan on topic Enquiry from DWP following PIp form submission
Thanks for the reply. I'm not too concerned, I appreciate that the DWP are entitled to seek advice from health professionals however it seems as though the MS nurse was being asked a series of questions in relation to the descriptors on the form ie cutting up food, could she shower unassisted, dress unaided etc etc.
The MS nurse then rang my partner to get the answers and was then going to ring the DWP back . I actually didn't include evidence from the MS nurse on the form because I didn't feel that she had a particularly good understanding of PIP - this isn't a cricticism - it isn't her job after all, however I did include some compelling evidence from her consultant neurologist.
Incidentally the DWP person also stated that she had a 3 day turnaround to come to a decision. One other thing she said was that she would have "expected" an overview of my partners condition. I'll let you know the result when I get it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris