× Members

ESA and Bereavement Support. . .

More
4 years 11 months ago #232822 by Katathome01
ESA and Bereavement Support. . . was created by Katathome01
Hi there all,

I wondered if there was anyone who could help answer a worry I have?

15 months ago, my husband died and, as he was my carer, and claimed ESA for us both, I was told I'd have to claim ESA for myself - which I did, with a LOT of help from this site!

I was also given the forms to claim Bereavement Support, as I have no young children, and it was awarded to me for the maximum of 18 months - which means it'll be finishing in 3 months time.

What's worrying me, is that the area I live in, is now alive to Universal Credit, and I'm worried that, when the Bereavement Support finishes, they'll use this as an excuse to force me onto UC :(

Just before all of this happened, I was made to change my indefinite award of DLA, to the new PIP and, once again, thanks to this site, I managed to get through it without any loss, but with another check-up in 10 years (almost 8 now).

Can they force me onto UC, does anyone know? Can they use this ending of the BS as a change of circumstances, do you think?

Katathome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #232827 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and Bereavement Support. . .
K

No, this is not a Change that would result in your needing to claim UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katathome01

More
4 years 11 months ago #232828 by Katathome01
Replied by Katathome01 on topic ESA and Bereavement Support. . .
Thankyou, Gordon - that's a huge relief to know :)

Many thanks :)

Katathome

More
4 years 11 months ago #232872 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA and Bereavement Support. . .
Hi KB

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Just a quick thought on the information you have provided, the first question I would ask is do you live on your own? if you do and you are in receipt of ESA and the daily living component of PIP and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you then the next question I would ask is, do you receive a severe disability premium (SDP) in with your ESA if you do then, at this moment in time you would be exempt from claiming UC, if you are not receiving the SDP then contact ESA enquiry line 0800 169 0310.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katathome01

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris