× Members

PIP Assessment going on and on

More
4 years 10 months ago #232979 by Rebecca
PIP Assessment going on and on was created by Rebecca
Hi there

Just looking for any advice really, and I guess just to rant. I made a claim for pip back in February. I sent the form back having had it filled out by a volunteer at the local council. I sent my evidence. Yet its nearly July now and I still haven't even had my face to face. I called several times and have been told there is no appointments in my area, so they're basically waiting for cancellations from surrounding areas. I've since sent in more evidence from my occupational therapist. Is there anything I can do? I've spoken to a quality assurance manager who apologised and admitted it wasn't good enough but he had to admit there was pretty much nothing they could do.

Also I wanted to ask about the mobility side of things. I would score zero points on first part as I am able to plan a journey etc fine but how on earth can you prove the second part? I have several auto immune diseases and my house has just been kitted out with equipment (bath board, bed bars, toilet seat etc) after an OT assessment. Movement in general causes me pain, a lot of pain. I am selling my house to move somewhere to make my life easier mobility wise. Is that what they're looking for? I have read all the relevant guides and they are great, thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #232980 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Assessment going on and on
Hi Rebecca

There is nothing you can do about the lack of appointments, apart from what you are doing and that is keep contacting them.

There are two questions that deal with mobility - questions 13 and 14.

Q13 - The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

Q 14 Moving around
You are not required to walk pain-free but any pain that restricts the distance that you can walk should be taken into account.Specifically for the Moving Around activity, if you are able to walk but you are in severe pain when doing so, then you can argue that your walking is not to a necessary standard and should be disregarded.The legal test requires you to stand and then move (walk), so if you have problems getting up then you should document these as well.If you walk slowly then it must take you at least twice the time to cover the 20m as a healthy person would, this could be down to the speed of your walking but could also be the result of having to stop.You must be able to repeat the distance, so if you could walk it once but not then be able to walk it again within a reasonable timescale then you should be classed as unable to repeat the activity.I can't tell you how to show your walking is more restricted but things you need to think about is what you can't do, for example, what can you walk in your house, how far is the toilet from where you normally sit, things that will count against you are any trips that you make outside, so for example, how do you do your shopping?

You must be able to walk the distance you can, reliably and on the majority of days, both these terms are defined in the PIP Claim guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

So you need to explain what you can, how you are limited and why.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #233001 by Rebecca
Replied by Rebecca on topic PIP Assessment going on and on
Thank you so much for your reply! The quality assurance manager did say there are legal time limits they must adhere to but despite phoning cab about this I have no idea what they are. Any ideas?

I would score nothing on q. 13, I am fine with all that. I do get anxious though about parking spaces, because basically if I can't get parked close enough or can't get back parked outaie my home then I won't go out. I get my shopping delivered. I'm going to have all this written down for when they come so I can clarify it all. You've been most helpful. Thank you!

More
4 years 10 months ago #233006 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Assessment going on and on
Rebecca

I'm afraid there are no legal timescales in which an assessment must be carried out.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 10 months ago #233032 by Rebecca
Replied by Rebecca on topic PIP Assessment going on and on
How bizarre, that was the quality assurance guy at pip that told me that. Thank you.

Can I also ask in the going out section... I have severe photosensitivity. Sunlight can put me in hospital and has once this year already. Does that go in anywhere at all? Thanks again.

More
4 years 10 months ago #233044 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Assessment going on and on
Rebecca

You may struggle to score for this as your problems are not a good fit for the Descriptors, I would approach it on the basis that you cannot go out safely, you will need to explain in detail how you are affected and how often. Only going out at night should count as not carrying out the activity to a necessary standard.

You need to decide whether you cannot undertake a journey or that you can go out but cannot follow the route to a destination. You cannot score for both only one.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris