× Members

Advice for representatives at tribunals

More
4 years 10 months ago #233433 by dawnfrancis
Advice for representatives at tribunals was created by dawnfrancis
Hi,

My sister's ESA tribunal date has finally come through, it's on Monday. I'll be going with her as I'm her representative - in an informal capacity that is. I have no legal training at all, but I did her mandatory reconsideration and appeal submission on her behalf (with her input).

Are there any important do's and don'ts for representatives at tribunals that I should be aware of? The last thing I want to do is to jeopardize her chances in any way.

Also would it be worthwhile bringing our mom along as a witness? Mom provides a lot of support to my sister, they live together and she has a very detailed knowledge of day to day issues. Or would it look like 'overkill' with us all turning up?

I'd just like to say that whatever the result, this site has been absolutely fantastic. The guides and the forum have been invaluable and I'm very, very grateful. If we lose, at least we've gone down fighting. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #233434 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Advice for representatives at tribunals
Hi Dawn

The most important thing to remember is that the tribunal panel will want to hear from your sister, even if you sometimes speak on her behalf. When you arrive for the tribunal you can inform the clerk that both you and your mum are there as witnesses.

Witnesses can usually come into the tribunal room alongside you and speak on relevant issues
when the judge asks them to. But some judges prefer that witnesses wait outside until they are
required. (It's not overkill to take your mum along).

Just be aware that neither of you should interrupt anyone and you should wait to be invited to give evidence either by the judge or by your sister. Agree with each other beforehand what it is you want to say. It's the impromptu marks that can be damaging.

Best of luck

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: dawnfrancis

More
4 years 10 months ago #233486 by dawnfrancis
Replied by dawnfrancis on topic Advice for representatives at tribunals
Thank you so much for replying so quickly BIS, I really appreciate it.

I'll keep you posted on how we get on

Thanks again and good luck to anyone else whose hearing is coming up

Dawn

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.