× Members

Car Tax After Successful Appeal

More
4 years 9 months ago #233829 by IanR
Car Tax After Successful Appeal was created by IanR
The other day, the Tribunal awarded me 12 points for Mobility, overturning the DWP's ruling that I was not eligible for the Mobility component. The DWP's ruling came into force on 7 March 2018 so I am expecting to receive payments back-dated to that date.
However, I have now had to pay car tax, twice, in the period since 7 March 2018.
Questions:
Do I get my car tax back?
If so, how?
Or does ATOS' incompetence mean that I am out of pocket for having had to pay car tax?
Than you for any replies.
Sincerely, IanR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #233843 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Car Tax After Successful Appeal
Ian

You will need to contact the DVLA but I believe you should be able to get at least some of the money back.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: IanR

More
4 years 9 months ago #233882 by dwmullings
Replied by dwmullings on topic Car Tax After Successful Appeal
Once dvla have proof I know that they will refund whart you are entitled to.phone them and explain they can actually be helpful.

More
4 years 9 months ago #233885 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Car Tax After Successful Appeal
Thanks dwm

You may find the following web site useful: www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-tax-exemption-disability

Contact DVLA by phone on: 0300 123 4321

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #238233 by IanR
Replied by IanR on topic Car Tax After Successful Appeal
Just a follow up...

To explain briefly - after the DWP dropped me from full mobility DLA to nil points PIP, I had to pay full car tax. One year later, I paid full car tax again. Half way through this second year the Appeals Tribunal reversed the decision and awarded me 12 points mobility. Shortly afterwards, the DWP sent me a cheque for the allowance I had not received and a certificate which showed that I was entitled to "free" car tax. The procedure for getting reimbursed was as follows :-

1) I took the certificate and V5 (log book) and the certificate to the post office and "re-registered" my car as a disability vehicle.
2) Shortly afterwards, I received a cheque from the DVLA for the REMAINDER of this (second) year's tax.
3) I then wrote to the DVLA enclosing a copy of the DWP's certificate and explaining that I wanted a refund for a) the first portion of this year's tax and b) the whole amount of the first year's tax.
4) The DVLA have just sent me a cheque to refund the whole lot.

I am back where I started before the thickos at ATOS thought they would be clever and take away my entitlement. After nearly 2 years of stress it is finally over.

Ian

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.