× Members

DLA -PIP

More
4 years 11 months ago #233949 by Kate
DLA -PIP was created by Kate
I had been on lifetime DLA award, then in November last year moved over to PIP & I lost my high rate mobility, just losing out by 2 points. I felt this was very unfair, but that aside I was too tired to fight them. Even tough the assessor had lied about almost everything...I was on my mobility scooter when I drove into her room, she never saw me walk nor asked me to walk, as she saw how difficult it was for me to even get up off the scooter. I had been waiting on MRI results of a brain scan, which came through after my assessment, showing that Ishemic Small Vessel Disease was advanced for my age & that I was suffering from onset dementia. I had to give up my driving licence, but that was no real burden as I had stopped driving in 2017 due to pain of previous conditions plus severe restless legs syndrome. Which made driving very dangerous indeed.

Now that I am in the dementia club, & see a nurse every 4 weeks in my home, I was referred to a group called Care In Fife.. My dementia nurse said that they would help me get back my high rate mobility & because my husband is now my full time carer, & has to do almost everything for me, She reckoned I would get the enhanced care said as well.

Yesterday I got a call form this CARE in FIFE service, & after askiing her questions about what benefits I get, she said there is NO way I will get the high rate mobility back, because once you are 65 & over. They do not give that rate out.. I explained that I had been on the lifetime DLA award before changing to PIP. So it was not a NEW Claim.

My reason for posting here is I really wanted to know if this is the case. Because if so, I think the reason I lost the high mobility rate had to be because of my age, they knew by putting me off the high rate I could not get it back. IS this right?

I also just got my PIP reward for 14months, which means in January 2020 I am due for another assessment.. My dementia nurse seems to believe I should get the higher rate of mobility on MY dementia alone, although I had to stop driving due to several painful conditions & the severe restless leg syndrome.just getting worse..However the lady from the Care In Fife says I won’t. She said she will help me fill in my next PIP forms, but I am not sure I would would want her too...Can you enlighten me please As to who is right. My dementia nurse, or this CARE lady? I know I should have appealed at the time, but I was too tired to fight them anymore.
Kate x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #234018 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA -PIP
KAte

It is now 65 or State Retirement Age, whichever is the higher but once you have reached this you cannot receive an Enhanced Mobility award if you already have a Standard one or any Mobility award if you do not currently have one.

If the Decision was made in November 2018 then you are still within the period that you can challenge the Decision on your current award but this can only be done on your conditions as they were at the time that you were assessed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #234035 by Kate
Replied by Kate on topic DLA -PIP
Hi Gordon
Does this mean that my standard care award will not be allowed to increase either. It just doesn’t seem right that they stop allowing you enhanced rates because you have hit a certain age.. I am 10 times worse today than I was when first granted DLA due to sever arthritis, Fibro, & chronic Asthma..Thank you anyway for the reply..
Kate

More
4 years 11 months ago #234045 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA -PIP
Kate

No, the Daily Living component is not affected. The same rule applied to DLA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.