× Members

PIP Initial Call Questions

More
4 years 11 months ago #233959 by ostia
PIP Initial Call Questions was created by ostia
Re Call to PIP to start claim process
Hello
I made the call to PIP to start my DLA to PIP claim last week. I have CFS/ME and also longstanding mental health issues and diagnoses. During the call to PIP the assessor read out a list of conditions to do with mental health (ADHD, Schizophrenia, Dementia etc) and asked if I had any of these - I do not, but I do have others including dissociative disorder and dissociative seizures both of which seriously affect my attention and memory functions in daily life. These are classed by GPs serious conditions.

What is the purpose of the list they read out to me on the phone? Is it something to do with the assessment process?
They gave me a number to call if I thought I had left anything out - should I ring and tell them about the issues above? Or just put it in the PIP form?
Thanks
Ostia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #233965 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Initial Call Questions
Hi Ostia

It is a generalised list and even if a claimant had one of those conditions and did not say so over the telephone it does not matter because they could later enter it on the form. The DWP could not list all the different types of mental health conditions that exist - so it is inevitable that a lot of people will have different ones from the ones they are asked about.

If it is going to cause you to worry, I would ring the number you were given and tell them about your conditions or if it isn't then complete the form with all your evidence.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 11 months ago #233978 by Waylay
Replied by Waylay on topic PIP Initial Call Questions
I *believe*, although I'm not certain, that asking about this list of MH conditions is their way of checking whether or not you're vulnerable due to your mental health (in which case they're supposed to treat you a little better). I answered yes to a couple of these conditions, and the next question was, "Have you ever been hospitalised due to any of these illnesses?" (No, because even thinking about it kicks my anxiety into high gear. I have a few wonderful friends/partners who organise a rota for weeks, sometimes months, when I'm too ill to feed/bathe/be safe alone.)

More
4 years 11 months ago #234012 by ostia
Replied by ostia on topic PIP Initial Call Questions
Thanks very much. I could not remember what I wrote in my DLA Form 11 years ago and got a lot of answers in a muddle due to panic which causes dissociation. The woman was pretty sharp with me - she may have thought I was dotty or making it up. In fact my mind shuts down or confuses things when too stressed.
I am considering whether I should call them to explain as I do not want them to assume the latter. Few people know about dissociative disorders.
I told them I did not want to give my mobile number out. Completely forgot that I had done so years ago and received a text message from them a few weeks ago!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.