× Members

PIP: is a wheelchair and "aid or appliance" ?

More
4 years 9 months ago #234038 by oceanblue
Hi.

According to the PIP guide (Q14b, p64) a wheelchair is not an aid or appliance. But according to Q14 section of the PIP Information Booklet sent out to me with the PIP form (after notifying the DWP of a change in the help I need), it is. Confusingly, wheelchairs are not listed as an example aid/appliance in Q14 of the form itself.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #234049 by Gordon
oceanblue

I think you have misunderstood the guide.

The legal test is whether you can "stand and then move" so the use of a wheelchair is not considered, however, if you cannot stand and the move and can only move around in a wheelchair then you should be assessed as meeting Descriptor (f).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 9 months ago #234112 by oceanblue
Replied by oceanblue on topic PIP: is a wheelchair and "aid or appliance" ?
Thanks.

For clarity, then, the information booklet (GB Mar 2019) they send out is WRONG to say "We'll ask you about how far you can walk and if you use aids and appliances to get around, including walking sticks, frames or prostheses and wheelchairs"? [my bold]

More
4 years 9 months ago #234113 by Gordon
oceanblue

No, because if you can only move using a wheelchair then it is correct.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: oceanblue

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.