× Members

help with pip form autism

More
4 years 9 months ago #234088 by Ali
help with pip form autism was created by Ali
Hi, I'm looking for guidance filling in PIP for my adult son moving to PIP from DLA, I was hoping to find example PIP forms in the member's area that would help but can't seem to find anything. His main needs are related to autism, anxiety, dyspraxia, and obesity. Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #234092 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic help with pip form autism
Hi Ali

Have you been through the PIP guide? That looks at each question in detail. We do not have any examplar forms simply because there are too many variables for the different condition or conditions that people have and the severity. There are examples of how you might answer the specific questions and the type of wording you might use.

PIP looks three main things

Think about breaking the activity down into smaller components where you can identify problems that your son would have.

So for Preparing Food; you can break it down into preparing the food and cooking it, you can break preparing the food down into; selecting the right food, checking that it is still good to use, washing it, peeling and cutting as necessary.

Then think of the problems that your son have and map them onto the activities, so physical problems might mean that have problems with peeling and cutting (due to his obesity and dyspraxia), mental health problems might mean that he doesn't actually get the food out in the first place (anxiety), cognitive problems (autism ) might mean that he does not or cannot select appropriate food or check that it is still in date. You know him and you know the difficulties he has, but you need to ex

For each combination explain why he is affected, how and whether help from an aid of a person would allow him to complete the activity, there is a formula in the guide for each activity of the things to include.

Lastly, when you are thinking about each activity, consider whether the problem your son would have would impact on his ability to do another activity. So physical problems with preparing food may also mean he has problems with washing and dressing, mental health problems may also impact on these activities and cognitive problems may mean that he needs help with money.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ali

More
4 years 9 months ago #234093 by Ali
Replied by Ali on topic help with pip form autism
thank you very much for the reply, I'm a bit stuck on Q3a 'do you use an aid to prepare or cook a meal.' He relies on me as his carer to prepare and cook as he doesn't have the co-ordination to chop vegetables or cognitive ability to handle hot pans safely. How would I answer this as he can't prepare a meal at all? do I leave Q3a blank and answer Yes to Q3b

More
4 years 9 months ago #234094 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic help with pip form autism
Hi Ali

You can put n/a (not applicable by Q3a) and put Yes to Q3b. In the box, or additional sheet you need to put in an explanation. Explain why he cannot use an aid, making it clear what would stop them being effective. If he hasn't got the co-ordination to handle pots or chop vegetables - make it clear what prevents him doing so. Could he put a ready meal in the microwave? Make it clear if that is beyond him.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ali

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.