× Members

Housing benefit

More
4 years 9 months ago #234091 by sojoli3008
Housing benefit was created by sojoli3008
Hi.
Please help as I'm receiving conflicting information from help lines and CAB.
I've recently moved into a privately rented house - one bedroom.
I have an occupational pension of £621.91. Also ESA support group and PIP standard rate mobility and standard rate care.
I've been told to apply for housing benefit by CAB though UC is rolled out in this area.
Also can someone tell me although ESA is stated its not means tested my pension has been taken into account and my ESA is approx £100 less monthly.
What is a severe disability premium with ESA?
Sorry for all the questions but I'm struggling to understand all tthe jargon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #234101 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Housing benefit
sojoli

Yes, Housing Benefit will only be available through a claim for Universal Credit. Be aware, you will initially be treated as Fit for Work and will need to inform your UC advisor that you have a current award of ESA, this award should be copied to your UC claim but it is a manual process and can take some time to complete.

I have to say that I am not entirely sure how the pension will be treated in regard to a UC claim but it is possible that it will be deducted £ for £.

Although ESA(CB) is not classed as a means tested benefit, pension income can reduce the amount of ESA that you receive. There is an £85/week disregard followed by a £1/week reduction for every £2 in excess of the £85.

The Severe Disability Premium can be paid with Income Related ESA but you are not entitled to this because of your pension.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 9 months ago #234161 by sojoli3008
Replied by sojoli3008 on topic Housing benefit
Thankyou Gordon.
Can I ask if I went through UC would the ESA stay every fortnight, would the amount stay the same?
Would I have to undergo another health assessment?

More
4 years 9 months ago #234190 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Housing benefit
sojoli

Your ESA(CB) should remain the same as a fortnightly payment.

There should be no requirement for you to be reassessed unless you are actually due to be.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.