× Members

Going back to Contribution Based ESA?

More
4 years 9 months ago #234125 by Robinson_jon
Going back to Contribution Based ESA? was created by Robinson_jon
Hi

My wife and I receive two ESA payments per fortnight. One is Income-Based and includes SDP, and the other (mine) is Contribution Based.

We were both CB until March of last year, when DWP moves my wife onto IB unexpectedly. We have both been in the Support Group since 2013 and in receipt of PIP.

I am starting a new job, so will be cancelling my claim and notifying Tax Credits so that we get the WTC element (we are still entitled to Tax Credits).

Because my wife was originally on CB ESA as she is in the Support Group, can she ask for her IB claim to revert back to CB, and if so does she need to complete a form?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #234129 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Going back to Contribution Based ESA?
JonnySkell

Your wife is actually still receiving ESA(CB) just with an ESA(IR) top-up although it won't be shown like this on her ESA entitlement letters so when you start work get her to inform the DWP office dealing with her claim and they will stop the ESA(IR) part of her payment.

Do you actually have an existing claim for Tax Credits, if not then this will only be available through Universal Credit?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 9 months ago #234133 by Robinson_jon
Replied by Robinson_jon on topic Going back to Contribution Based ESA?
Hi Gordon

Many thanks for your help. We have an existing Child Tax Credits claim, so I can add my employment details onto it without triggering a UC claim.

More
4 years 8 months ago #234773 by Robinson_jon
Replied by Robinson_jon on topic Going back to Contribution Based ESA?
Hi Gordon

How should she approach the call as I don't want her getting worried that they will tell her to apply for UC. I'm aware that they shouldn't do this, but I've seen incidents where this has happened.

Does she just say that she needs to report a change of circumstances as I have commenced employment? The lady I spoke to wasn't overly helpful when I rang up to change mine and ask about her claim.

Thanks

More
4 years 8 months ago #234778 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Going back to Contribution Based ESA?
Jonny

I would say the most important thing is to approach the call with an understanding that this cannot result in a claim for UC, so if she is told this then I would just laugh to myself that here was another JC+ member of staff who does not know their stuff.

The phone call needs to be followed up in writing, preferably using a Tracked post so you have proof of delivery.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.