× Members

PIP and Long term HIV

More
4 years 9 months ago #234159 by Martin Costelloe
PIP and Long term HIV was created by Martin Costelloe
I was diagnosed with HTLV3 (HIV) in 1983 as a 20 year old and told I had 6 months to live. I was kicked out of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama as a consequence. In 1989 I was signed off by the the DSS with a DS1500. I nearly died in the early 90s but now there are meds. Now at 56 I face losing all my benefits. My DLA is being stopped and I have to apply for PIP and my ESA support group position is being reviewed. Anyone is a similat position that can offer me advice or support pleas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #234189 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP and Long term HIV
M

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

The DS1500 that was previously issued will have expired, so you either need to see if a new one can be issued or look to qualify through the relevant criteria for ESA and PIP.

Have you looked at our claim guides?

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

and

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 9 months ago #234193 by Martin Costelloe
Replied by Martin Costelloe on topic PIP and Long term HIV
Thanks for that Gordon. What I am really trying to do with my post is to try and find out what the likely outcome for me will be when the process runs it's course?. I imagine there are many users here who are in a very similar position to me. Is it not a good idea to have my real name showing?

More
4 years 9 months ago #234197 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP and Long term HIV
M

Your conditions are not relevant to the assessment process they will be looking at any limitations that result from them, so it's impossible to say based on the information you have provided whether an award would be made or not.

It's entirely up to you whether you leave your name showing, a lot of new members do not realise that it is which is why we mention it. Although you need to be a member to post, you do not need to be one to read the posts on the forum so most members prefer to be anonymous.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 9 months ago #234203 by Martin Costelloe
Replied by Martin Costelloe on topic PIP and Long term HIV
Thanks for that Gordon. I am hoping to hear from others members who have perhaps completed the process. There of course has been a legacy of conditions that I have had to deal with.
1 Bad bowels
2 Severe depression
3 Alcohol and drug abuse
4 Severe anxiety
5 Terrible sleep patterns

There is a long list of meds besides combination therapy that I am on. I have contemplated suicide over the years and have twice taken an overdose. I am seeking support to fill in forms as I have DLA to PIP and a review of my current ESA support group position happening at the same time

More
4 years 9 months ago #234225 by pomaus
Replied by pomaus on topic PIP and Long term HIV
Dear Martin

Things have changed considerably over the years with the DWP.
They are no longer interested in the condition as it were, it is now all about how the condition affects your ability to carry out activities and how certain symptoms will qualify you for the "support group" for ESA.
For instance
Someone who loses complete control of bowels at least once a week leading to extensive evacuation of the bowel should qualify for the support group
Someone who suffers from severe depression / anxiety who self harms or has suicidal Ideations should qualify for the support group.

With regards to Pip, it is the same, it is all about how your ability to carry out certain tasks is affected rather than by the condition itself.
So again, someone who is suffering from mental health might lack the motivation to be able to get up and get dressed in the morning, take care of their personal hygiene, They might lack the motivation to cook, for example and so instead have to rely on junk food.
They might have trouble interacting and engaging socially with other people for example and need support.

The benefit guides are really useful

Good luck with your claim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin Costelloe

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.