× Members

Just what is overwhelming pychological distress?!

More
4 years 7 months ago #235824 by mosala
What is the definition of OPD please? Can you give an example? I, for instance collapse into a floods of tears for a couple of hours in a layby and feel suicidal and yet DWP don't seem to think that is OPD!!! If that isn't, what is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #235832 by BIS
Hi Mosala

“Overwhelming psychological distress” means distress related to an enduring mental health condition or an intellectual or cognitive impairment.

If you are trying to challenge what an assessor has said you will have to show that your mental health condition means on the majority of days you are unable to meet one of the PIP criteria and you will have to describe how this manifests itself.

Obviously your example is distressing, but the comment itself has no context to it and which criteria it might be used for.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 7 months ago #235835 by Maxit
Hey Mosala,

I can't help with your question really as I think the answer is so wide ranging, physiological distress will be different for everyone and I'm willing to bet that each HCP will have their own opinion on this also (most likely not in the claimants favour).

I just wanted to mention be careful what you say in regards to examples, if the DVLA were to be made aware of the statement you made in the post or similar they are likely to revoke your licence or at least look into it. If you are to use examples like this and require medical evidence from your care network informing the GP or mental health team of anything driving related and distress will open up a whole host of issues.

A family member with a neurological condition had to have their licence assessed every 3 years, the last time they had this done it was revoke, not through physical issues but as a direct result of mental health issues, it was small things they had said to their GP"like can become upset when alone in own thoughts such as when driving", this has never effected their driving, they have never had any accidents or points but they lost their licence which has had a huge impact on them (just think through everything you put down/say and the ripple effects it may have).

More
4 years 7 months ago #235860 by Ellen
It's different for everyone but I'd say a full blown autistic meltdown would come under OPD.

More
4 years 7 months ago #235900 by mosala
BIS OK thanks. It refers to response to OCD triggers when going out in this instance. Also when in social situation when people speak to me and trigger off my OCD thoughts.
Crying, surely means the body is overwhelmed?

More
4 years 7 months ago #235901 by BIS
Hi Mosala

I am not an assessor, but crying is a normal response to sadness, grief, stress etc - that is why for the purpose of PIP you will have to show that it is overwhelming and is directly related to your OCD and happens on the majority of days.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.