× Members

supporting evidence for PIP

More
4 years 8 months ago #235914 by esmith
supporting evidence for PIP was created by esmith
I've just received the dreaded brown envelope saying I need to move to PIP. I've been receiving DLA for about 20 years for severe mental illness and associated physical issues. I've spent well over 7 years on psych wards in total, was on enhanced CPA, had been sectioned several times etc etc. Unfortunately our MH trust merged and became Norfolk and Suffolk Trust and, as has been well covered by local and national press, cut costs, haemorrhaged staff and is in special measures. Like a lot of former patients I was referred back to primary care and get no help. So now I'm stuck on how to get accurate supporting evidence. My ex-psychologist retired, my ex-psychiatrist left the medical profession, my social worker moved, the ward managers have either retired or moved on since they closed wards. My GP is great but I doubt he has time to complete anything other than the tick-box form they send him. I was assessed last year under the MHA and whilst I talked myself out of being sectioned I doubt the reports of the state of myself and my house weren't exactly glowing but with no contacts in the service I've no idea if a) I could locate the reports b) I'd be allowed to copy and use them.
Could I include newspaper articles to back up my argument that I'm one of many needing help and receiving none? Would pointing out that I'm still (I assume) on the Severe Mental Illness Register at the GP carry any clout?
Also, if I leave contacting the DWP to tell them that I do wish to apply until the last minute (9 Sept) will that buy me a bit more time or does the clock start running from the day they posted the letter?
I've only just completed my ESA renewal in June and I'm worrying that I've heard nothing because they weren't persuaded by my reliance on my own testimony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #235919 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic supporting evidence for PIP
Elizabeth

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You can delay contacting the DWP to start your PIP claim but I would give yourself a couple of days fall back in case you have problems getting through.

As to your evidence, I would start by speaking to your doctor. You may be right that they have no time to help but don't make the assumption, what they should be able to tell you, is what is held on your medical records and whether you would be allowed to access it.

I would not bother with the newspaper clippings, a significant number of DLA claimants have been "parked" by the NHS either because they could not help further, a lack of funding in their area or there being no treatment facilities available.

Our PIP guides are on the following link

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 8 months ago #235958 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic supporting evidence for PIP
Hi Elizabeth

Do you have a CPN? If you do then ask them for a supporting document, I have come across some very good supporting documents from CPN's.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 8 months ago #235985 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic supporting evidence for PIP
Hi Elizabeth

it is your legal right to make a Subject Access Request (SAR) for your G.P. records under The Data Protection Act 1998. (DPA 1998)You simply make the request at your G.P. Practice reception, there will be a form that you need to sign, and there will probably be a charge.If you wish, you can simply state that you need the information to support a claim for benefits.G.P. practices should be used to such requests, as many claimants are having to request this information in support of a benefit claim.

If you wish to obtain any medical information held by a Hospital where you have received treatment, you should approach The Patient Advice and Liaison Service, (PALS) they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I would add a note of caution if you do want to access your medical records - that before you do so you are in a strong enough position to read them. If it would cause you considerable stress or mental anguish then don't do it. You can always talk to the Practice Manager at your GP's to tell them how much you would like. You can also give permission to a family member to access them, but there is a process to do this which a Practice Manager can explain.

BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.