Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Our fortnightly bulletin, with over 80,000 subscribers, is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Find out what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
Members
  • Page:

TOPIC: ESA Overpayment

ESA Overpayment 4 weeks 2 days ago #236028

I have been overpaid ESA (through no fault of my own). I was given the wrong information from the Welfare Officer at my housing office. I definitely want to challenge this decision as I have doen nothing wrong. I remember a couple of years ago reading somewhere about not always having to pay back overpayments if I was given the wrong advice but now I cant find the legisation anywhere. Can anyone help me find it please? Also, as ive said I want to appeal, and the person who would help me with the appeal is normally the person that gave me the wrong advice. So do I still ask him for help or do it alone?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ESA Overpayment 4 weeks 2 days ago #236031

Hi Mumsgirl

In some cases a waiver is granted on behalf of the secretary of state and an overpayment is written off.

You can read about it in the following 2018 guide - assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/governm...t-recovery-guide.pdf

I can't advise you on whether you should use the same person to put in an appeal. I would read the booklet and then decide whether it's something you feel able to do yourself or whether you need help.

BIS
The following user(s) said Thank You: mumsgirl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
  • Page:
Moderators: GordonGaryBIS