× Members

ESA Overpayment

More
4 years 8 months ago #236028 by mumsgirl
ESA Overpayment was created by mumsgirl
I have been overpaid ESA (through no fault of my own). I was given the wrong information from the Welfare Officer at my housing office. I definitely want to challenge this decision as I have doen nothing wrong. I remember a couple of years ago reading somewhere about not always having to pay back overpayments if I was given the wrong advice but now I cant find the legisation anywhere. Can anyone help me find it please? Also, as ive said I want to appeal, and the person who would help me with the appeal is normally the person that gave me the wrong advice. So do I still ask him for help or do it alone?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236031 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic ESA Overpayment
Hi Mumsgirl

In some cases a waiver is granted on behalf of the secretary of state and an overpayment is written off.

You can read about it in the following 2018 guide - assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/governm...t-recovery-guide.pdf

I can't advise you on whether you should use the same person to put in an appeal. I would read the booklet and then decide whether it's something you feel able to do yourself or whether you need help.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mumsgirl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.