× Members

PIP home assessment

More
4 years 8 months ago #236142 by Spring bunny
PIP home assessment was created by Spring bunny
Hi, everyone.
My husband’s PIP award is ending next month and we had to reapply as the award was given by Tribunal.
We just received a letter for face to face home assessment which was a bit of surprise as we didn’t request home assessment.
I would like to know the reason why they gave him home assessment and if there is any differences between home assessment and assessment center face to face.

One thing we consider is our housing situation.
My husband had a small business before he became unwell. When his business failed, he had to pack up his office and brought everything to home.
He hoped he would be able to restart his business again one day and set up a work space in our house. Unfortunately his health has got worse after cancer treatment and operation and he cannot work now.
It is too much for him to sort his work space up due to his health and it’s impossible for me to clear the space out without his guidance.
As a result,, we have been neglecting the situation and the work space has been remained in our house.
We are nervous if the assessor might think he is working and he s capable to look after himself.
We are thinking to submit our social housing assessment as an additional. evidence which prove we are looking for more suitable home for his health without the work space.
(Unfortunately we haven’t succeeded to get any viewing of social housing even we’ve been applying for long time.)
Sorry for the long post but any advice will be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236143 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP home assessment
Hi Spring Bunny

If you have been sent a home assessment without asking for one, they must believe that it would be less stressful for your husband. You are the second member to have asked this same question in the last twenty-four hours. There are very home visits available so for them to have offered one should be seen as them trying to do the right thing. There is nothing suspicious about it. (Many people want home visits and are refused them). If you would prefer to go to a centre you can always ring up and change, but this would count as your once chance to change it and you would have to take the second appointment you were offered.

In terms of the content of the assessment, there is very little difference between a home visit and one held at a centre. Obviously, they cannot ask any questions about how you got there which they do if you're not seen in your own home. Do have a look our PIP guide for the types of questions your husband will be asked.

The assessor is not coming to inspect your home. The only room they see is the one that you choose to hold the assessment in. Even if you have the assessment in the workspace in your home, if they ask about it (and there is no guarantee they will) you can say what you have said here. You could show your social housing submission to the assessor if it will ease your worries.

I know of someone last year who was asked about their home which was unsuitable for their needs and they explained the reason why they live there and there was no negative impact on the award they received.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spring bunny

More
4 years 8 months ago #236149 by magdelena
Replied by magdelena on topic PIP home assessment
Spring Bunny (lovely choice of name)

Embrace the gesture. My husband has Parkinson’s and wasn’t offered a home visit. A month on and he’s still very ill from the f2f, something I’m taking the DWP to task about.

Don’t fret about anything. Focus on the information you need to convey. I’d also recommend recording the assessment. I’m glad I did.

The most important thing is to look after your husband AND yourself. These assessments are awful and stressful but you can love each other through it.

Wishing you both the very best x

More
4 years 8 months ago #236157 by Spring bunny
Replied by Spring bunny on topic PIP home assessment
Hi, BIS.
Thank you for the advice.
Unfortunately the assessor has to go through the workspace to come to our living space.
(It was an office before us moving in and has been converted as a live and work space.)
So the assessor will see the workspace anyway.
I hope they will ask us about the work then we can explain the situation, or should we mention it even if they don’t ask?
I will prepare a copy of our social housings application anyway.
Thank you very much I feel more relaxed.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236159 by Spring bunny
Replied by Spring bunny on topic PIP home assessment
Hi, Magdalena.
Thank you for the advice.
I am sorry about your husband. Hope he will get better soon.
We have become a bit too nervous and suspicious since the last assessment we had which was awful.
I was diagnosed anemia yesterday and feeling unwell myself, but we will try to go through this together as yo said.
Thank you very much.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236162 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP home assessment
Hi Spring Bunny

You have to do what feels right for you. As it clearly worries you - then you might have the opportunity to say something. However, the assessor is there to judge your husband on the PiP criteria and that will be their focus.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.