× Members

Educating GP surgery on letters for benefits

More
4 years 8 months ago #236180 by Waylay
My partners/friends have been doing my ESA Application (sent last Saturday) for me, as I fell apart and couldn't handle it. They're wonderful, wonderful people.

They sent letters to my GP and counsellor asking for letters to send in. They were appropriately vague, only asking for their opinions on my ability to do the actions in the ESA, as well as their opinions on whether I am fit for work.

My GP surgery's practice manager sent me this email:
Dear (Me)
Thank you for you letter requesting a testimony for ESA, related to Work Capability. It is practice policy that we wait for request from ESA directly and we will respond to them, as they have specific forms that are sent to us. We will keep your letter on file and wait if we receive any further request from ESA.
(Them)

I was crazy anxious and having a bit of an attack of rage when I answered, which made me worry they might dump me as a patient for a while, but apparently I managed to rein myself in enough that they weren't too offended. My answer was,

"Dear (person),

ESA very rarely seek out information themselves. I can send you newspaper articles and freedom of information act documents from the DWP confirming this. The onus is on the patient to provide evidence, not the DWP or the assessment companies.

Has Dr. GPPerson read my letter? If not, I request that you give it to him today.

Thank you,
(Me)"

Their response?
"Dear (Me),

Thank you for your email and your information. Dr GPPerson will be back on Monday and review the letter then.

Thanks,
(Them)"

Huh! Got a really great letter, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sdoxuk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236184 by BIS
Hi Waylay

Good for you for challenging your surgery. I know not everyone can do so, but glad you had such a positive outcome.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 8 months ago #236205 by MrFibro
Replied by MrFibro on topic Educating GP surgery on letters for benefits
Hi,
and absolutely well done.

Some surgeries are so adamant not to help their patients more so if it involves the DWP etc.

kind regards.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.