× Members

New on site DLA to PIP my stomach is in knots!!!!!

More
4 years 7 months ago #236271 by Julie
Hi Everyone

I was a member for many years up to about 6 years ago and its lovely to see new moderators but where have all the old moderators gone?!!!! Up until now following all the information on B&W I haven't had to go for a assessment up until my recent change from DLA to PIP!!!! I have kept my day to day life and how my disability affects me up to date, which has really helped me to complete the forms fully. I believe it was survivor who suggested doing and I periodically give a copy of this to my GP to scan to my records, then it doesn't matter if DWP contact my surgery all the information is there for any Dr to give up to date information.

I am currently going through this change from DLA to PIP. Initially I was sent an appointment to see a physiotherapist about 30 miles away, but due to recent major neck surgery and being paralysed down my right arm I can no longer use my motability vehicle as it is right hand controls. Motability have now taken back this vehicle and have reassessed me and I now need fine controls just the same as I use on my wheelchair. But because I only had 12 months left on my DLA motability cant release or order this vehicle until I have at least 18 months on my award.
So after a lengthy conversation and them ringing my main support worker to check what I had told them they sent a letter to me confirming they would do a home visit.

This seemed to go well and the Dr that came out had read all the information I had given in great depth and I had a text from DWP 2 days later advising they had received the report and they would make their decision within 6 weeks. We are at the 5 week stage now and a brown letter burst through my letterbox to let me know they now had all the evidence they need to make a decision. So I am now waiting for their decision to be made and as you can imagine I am a wreck, every time the letterbox goes my stomach is in knots. I appreciate its only another week before I get a decision but it may as well be a year!!!!! I live in fear of that brown envelope from Belfast!!!!!!

I had my neck surgery last December and the community physiotherapist is still working with me to get as much power back in my arm as possible. I live out in the sticks so my own transport is imperative. I have had to use hospital transport for hospital appointments as I am in a large motorised wheelchair as public transport could further damage my neck and spine. I feel like a prisoner in my own home waiting for DWP to give me a decision.

Its bad enough being disabled without the stress and worry doing these forms. I know they have to do these checks but its the waiting that terrifies me!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236273 by BIS
Hi Julie

Welcome back. Gordon is the only 'old' moderator still here, but he is currently enjoying a well-earned rest. He will be back very soon.

I've moved your post to its own topic, we ask members not to post their questions in other member's topics as it can lead to the wrong advice being given or taken.

Sorry that you are awaiting the arrival of the brown envelope. It's an unavoidable stress that everyone has to go through. I hope very much you get the outcome you need.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Julie

More
4 years 7 months ago #236275 by Julie
Oooops sorry about that!!!! I hadn't realised I was still in a post and thank you for putting it to a new post!!!!! Its great to be back and I look forward to posting to all the new moderators and members. Wow I do remember Gordon I hope he has a great rest.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236431 by Julie
Hi all

I am totally confused!!!!!!! Initially motability told me I needed a vehicle with hydraulic lift to the rear of vehicle and space drive gas and brake so basically a high tech vehicle because of severe weakness in right hand/arm and drive from wheelchair. Because I needed 18 months on HRM and I only have 12 months I had to change over to pip. Yesterday I received a letter from mobility advising they would be in touch within 5 days to confirm all the adaptions nd decide on colour of vehicle etc. I have had my PIP home visit for face to face assessment but still don't have a decision. It seems that motability are going ahead with my new vehicle before a decision has been made. HELP I don't want to do anything wrong!!!

More
4 years 7 months ago #236432 by BIS
Hi Julie

Motability must be aware of how long you have left to run, but give them a ring to confirm that they are aware that you don't have the decision. Then it's up to them.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.