× Members

PIP Tribunal Stopped by DWP reconsideration

More
4 years 7 months ago #236395 by Lynno1981
Hello my husband had his re-assessment and face to face last October he got the decision of 6 points for care reduced from 8 and mobility reduced from 12 to 4. His benefit ceased end of Nov 18. We requested mandatory reconsideration and got the same result in Marc 19. We lodged an appeal and submitted all evidence we had and have been waiting on tribunal date. Last week we received a letter saying DWP have looked at the additional evidence and changed their decision to standard care and mobility, with no other information and we had to let them know by 22 Aug if we accepted this. I rang the number on the letter to see how long the award was for and how many points had been awarded the guy on the phone said all other information was with the tribunal and could not tell me but we needed to decide if we accepted. We panicked and said yes as my husbands has additional health issues going on at the moment and we just could not cope with the stress. Anyway I decided to see if I could contact someone on the 0800 number to see if they could explain. Long story short they had all the info he has been awarded 8 for care same as before and 10 for mobility so standard for both, until August 2022 which is a really good result, my husband will be 65 in April next year and the person at DWP said he may qualify for the lite touch. My dilemma is that although his benefit will be reinstated his health has deteriorated since October last year, he has been diagnosed with a herniated disc in his neck which has trapped the nerve causing partial paralysis of his dominant left hand and arm. He is awaiting surgery for this and just had a biopsy on his prostrate, we were advised by the dwp chap to accept this offer and we could still appeal once we got the paperwork through and receive his back money, has anyone else had this experience? 2017 was his first claim which he was awarded for 2 year with a review after 1 year so we are a bit overwhelmed by it all to be honest. By registering and following the advice we submitted the appeal, so thank you to all who post and the great guides on the site they have helped tremendously.

Lynn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236425 by Gary
Hi Lynno

Yes we see this scenario quite often.

The advice you were given by 'the dwp chap to accept this offer and we could still appeal once we got the paperwork through' is correct, one of the issues I see is that your husbands health has deteriorated since his face to face in October which may go against you at any hearing, not that I want to put you off but you will need to explain your husbands condition at the date of the assessment and not as he is now. You could make a new claim once you claim is in payment due to a change in your husbands condition but you run the risk of loosing what you already have.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lynno1981

More
4 years 7 months ago #236517 by Lynno1981
Replied by Lynno1981 on topic PIP Tribunal Stopped by DWP reconsideration
Thank you that’s kind of what we were thinking too.

Lynn

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.