× Members

PIP claim form Going Out question clarification

More
4 years 8 months ago #236428 by DebbieMc
Hi, I’m new to this forum and to PIP I was previously awarded DLA indefinitely but now have to move over to PIP. I am really stuck on answering the ‘going out’ Q13, I’ve read the info sheet that came with the claim form and the going out section of this pensions and work site and wonder if anyone would be kind enough to clarify the meaning/wording. It states ‘using public transport’ and on this site it says you're not likely to get points if using your own car, but if I can’t use public transport for various issues, why wouldn’t I get points if I can only travel by car? I’ve had a motability vehicle for about 14 years now and couldn’t manage without it, so can anyone let me know if I’m interpreting the question wrong or have any suggestions how I should approach a reply to this one?
Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this or reply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #236430 by BIS
Hi Debbie

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Going Out
The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

Driving
there are two distinct issues with a claimant driving, one that is reasonable and one that is less so.First, the DWP will argue that someone who drives has good cognitive ability as the process of driving requires the driver to be aware of what is going on around them, to be able to pre-empt situations that they are approaching and to be able to manage the operation of the vehicle.They will also argue that it show good navigation skills and an ability to plan a route, however, claimants might be able to argue that if only one journey is undertaken and the claimant had to be shown that route, that they are in fact not able to plan or navigate a route, but I think there is little flexibility in this argument.Secondly, the DWP view driving as a physical activity, for example holding the wheel requires a level of dexterity, strength and endurance in their hands, arms and shoulders, They also believe that the operation of the pedals is akin to walking and so someone who can drive can also walk. I (for what it is worth as I don't do assessments) think that this argument is very weak, however, most people drive a car to go somewhere and having arrived at that place they may then need to then walk to complete their journey, for example; none of the car parks in my area have lifts that are less than 20m from disabled parking spaces and the Motability shop where I can hire a scooter is the best part of 100m.

So the thing you need to be aware of is that it is a balancing act to answer this question. Quite a few members have found they have not been awarded the amount they are expecting because of the driving issue. I can't tell you what to write - only you know your medical issues and where you hope to be awarded points - but be aware of all the things written above.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 8 months ago #236440 by Ellen
Slightly off the point but remember the bit about public transport is just guidance for the DWP and not the law.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.