× Members

Key Points for Supporting Docs from GP & CMHN

More
4 years 6 months ago #236648 by TrueDefective
Key Points for Supporting Docs from GP & CMHN was created by TrueDefective
I received the dreaded ESA50 last Saturday and have an appointment with a GP on Monday. I am under the care of a Community Mental Health Team and also need to gather supporting evidence from them, especially my care-coordinator, a CMHN.

I wish to provide a kind of list of key-points for them to include in any supporting letters e.g. onset of problems, meds I'm on, day-to-day symptoms. What points should I absolutely ask them to write in any documents? The descriptors most relevant to my conditions (depression, social phobia, agoraphobia and anxious personality disorder) are:

14. Coping with changes, 15. Going out and 16. Coping with social situations

Oh, and the form does state to not ask for new evidence and only submit existing documents. The ones I have are fairly old, as my treatment has been ongoing and there's been little change. Does this 'information you already have' part mean that the DWP and their contractor will disregard completely evidence I get now for submission with the ESA50?

Many thanks for all you do to help people like myself! I am so scared of this process!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #236652 by Gary
Hi Lee

Do you have a CPN? If you do ask them for a support letter, most CPN support letter are very good at describing your condition affects you on a daily basis. If you don't have a CPN then ask your CMHT for a support letter.

Have a look at our Members only Guide www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1 which can help you with the dredded ESA50 form.

Remember when you complete this form take your time, do not rush it, some questions seem to repeat themselves so repeat your answers, do not miss any or just tick a box unless that question does not affect you at all.

Remember there are no grey areas, everything is in black or white, explain why you cannot do things even if it is only sometime. Ask yourself, can I repeatedly carry out a task – as often as is reasonably required in a timely manner – in a reasonable time period, if the answer is no, then answer no and explain why, such as can I walk 20-50 meters, answer yes I could manage 20-50 meters but then ask yourself could you repeat this task, if the answer is no I have to rest then explain the impact of carrying out a task.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: TrueDefective

More
4 years 6 months ago #236679 by TrueDefective
Replied by TrueDefective on topic Key Points for Supporting Docs from GP & CMHN
Yes, I have a Community Mental Health Nurse as my care-coordinator, but she's off on sick leave at the moment, so I'm yet to hear back from her. I hope she will know how best to provide supporting documents.

I have a GP appointment on Monday, but I haven't been in for a long time, so I'm worried he might say he can't comment on my health having not had any reviews with me. I wanted to provide a kind of summary of key points so that it gives him something to focus what he writes IF indeed he's prepared to.

Hugely stressful times. It's been 6 years since my last assessment. Many thanks Gary, for your input. Any other advice would also be gratefully received, especially if you have had to approach a GP to ask for a supporting document regarding anxiety and depression.

More
4 years 6 months ago #236684 by BIS
Hi Lee

Among the PIP guides is a guide called GP Notes which you could print off and see if your GP was willing to fill it out when you see them. If they aren't willing - you want a letter that confirms your diagnosis, medication, any symptoms and length of time you have experienced the anxiety and depression. Can all be done in a paragraph.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #236698 by TrueDefective
Replied by TrueDefective on topic Key Points for Supporting Docs from GP & CMHN
This might sound like a silly question, but would completing the pdf version of the ESA50 and including an email address on the form go against you in terms of these descriptors:

11.Learning how to do tasks
13.Starting and finishing tasks

Obviously I can use a computer, and it's much easier than writing by hand for my dyslexia, but it doesn't mean I can reliably learn stuff generally when I'm highly anxious or start and finish tasks when I'm struggling with anxiety or depression. But do they see that you've typed the form and it automatically scuppers your chances of scoring points in these descriptors?

More
4 years 6 months ago #236705 by Gary
Hi Lee

It should not go against you, when you type a form. DWP have no idea how long it has taken you to type it, if someone else has typed it for you or has shown you how to do it.

You can always put an explanation on additional information page if you are concerned about it. I have not come across anyone being adversely affected because they typed their ESA50 form.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.