× Members

housing benefit if recieving severely disabled ESA

More
4 years 7 months ago #236862 by AJ27
Hi i have just moved house and i recieve esa support group and get the extra money because im severley disabled element. Now as far as i was aware i am banned from claiming universal credit so therefore still entitled to housing benefit. i recieved a letter from the council today to say i need to claim universal credit ? has things changed ? or has the council got it wrong ?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236866 by Gordon
AJ

To be clear, you are receiving a payment labelled as "money because you are severely disabled"? If you are then you are still barred from claiming UC and you should contact your Local Authority to tell them that you are receiving the Severe Disability Premium.

Being in the SG enables payment of the Enhanced Disability Premium, this shows as the "Disability Income Guarantee" on your ESA entitlement letters. This Premium does not bar you from claiming UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJ27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.