× Members

PIP Appeal appointment on Monday - Help !

More
4 years 6 months ago #236882 by Sam
After being in receipt of DLA for 26 years and having a lifetime award I got the dreaded letter to switch over to PIP.

I attended my initial interview and was denied with a total of 0 points. I put in for a mandatory reconsideration and again was denied with 0 points. I put in for a appeal and my appointment is this coming Monday. I would appreciate any advice people can give me.

Unfortunately my disabilities are more mental than physical so it's proving difficult for me to prove my side. I have a personality disorder, depression, diabetes and varicose veins which causes my legs and ankles to swell up and cause me a great deal of pain.

I feel the questions are geared more towards people who have things physically wrong with them rather than mentally. My Dr of 26 years was completely behind me and knew my history of my disabilities. I went to visit him a few weeks ago to ask for a letter and evidence but he was killed 2 days later in a car crash. I feel so defeated that the only person who was on my side and could help me is no longer able to do so.

If I get denied at the appeal is there a way to appeal again based on the fact that they didn't have a psychiatrist assess me or have 1 attend the tribunal.

I have been in children's homes and mental hospitals but this was 20+ years ago when hospital records weren't computerized. The hospitals I were in are now gone so I can't get access to this records.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as I don't know what I will do if I get denied. Not only will I lose my DLA I will also lose my ESA disability premium so I'm looking at £500+ month loss of income.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #236885 by BIS
Hi Sam

I am so sorry about the loss of your GP - absolutely devastating for you.

There is very little I can say to you at this stage, because it's too close to the hearing - so you will have to manage with the evidence you have submitted. Try not to think the panel will not be listening because you have mental health problems. Plenty of people with mental health problems have been successful at tribunals. I would jot down on a piece of paper - a short bullet point list of the key points that you want to get over to the panel - if you get asked (making sure they are relevant to the pip criteria). That way you won't forget the most important things.

I hope that you won't get denied at your appeal, but should you do so, you can only appeal again if the tribunal make an error in applying the law to your case.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.