× Members

pip paid too much?

More
4 years 7 months ago #237357 by maggi
pip paid too much? was created by maggi
I am in a real quandary. I am appointee for a relative who is on the autistic spectrum and filled in his PIP assessment form. Previously he was on the lower rate of DLA. He has been awarded enhanced daily living, which I am very happy about and comfortable with but - he also been awarded enhanced mobility. I wasn't going to even fill the mobility section in as he has only slight problems with that - walks slowly, anxious about going downstairs, has some problems with proprioception, finds it very frightening when the pavements are icy. But a friend encouraged me to fill it in as she has seen his behaviour and on the basis of "if you don't ask you don't get"! Unfortunately I didn't photocopy the mobility page as my printer packed up at that point so can't remember exactly what I said or even which box I ticked! But it would have been along the lines of needing someone with him to help. But it doesn't add up to enhanced mobility needs at all. So I can only think that the assessor didn't read what I said and just looked at the tick box which may well have been the "always" box, ticked on the basis that this is a permanent feature of his condition. But not expecting to get anything!

So far I have only told my relative about the daily living award as I have been so perplexed about the mobility component. But I woke up this morning realising that I would like to get this cleared up before he finds out - the money is paid into his own account and he is not going to be at all comfortable with the extra amount. But if I phone the DWP they might look again at the whole form! It is perfectly possible that this assessor simply looked at the tick boxes throughout - another assessor might be more thorough and decide to throw out the entire award!! I wish now I hadn't told my relative about the daily living award as if that happens he will be devastated, but it is too late now.

Do I need professional help on this? And if so, where can I get it?

A big thank you to this site for the help you give which helped me fill in the forms - but I cannot relax yet!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #237365 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic pip paid too much?
Hi maggi

Am I correct in assuming that your relative did not have an assessment and the award was paper based?
You can ask for your assessment report for peace of mind and then look in our 'Members Only Guide' www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Remember you may have mobility needs if your illness, disability or mental health condition requires you to have help to:

1) Plan and follow journeys
2) Move around

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.