× Members

notify ESA and PIP of health issues as an update?

More
4 years 7 months ago #237536 by mia
My understanding is that I would have to notify both ESA and PIP of health changes like improvements in capabilities, long hospital stays, severe deterioration or death. However, as his appointee, if there is no serious deterioration in capabilities, do I have to notify them he has had a stroke this summer?
There were side affects of the stroke and medication has increased but there are no new symptoms or drastic deterioration in health and capabilities.
Those with no DWP knowledge would say yes, notify them, but I feel both ESA and PIP would then take the opportunity to set reassessment interviews, follow their previous practise of lying on the medical assessment paperwork, cancel benefits and I would be fighting 2 appeals over Xmas as happened last year with PIP. This would all increase my husband’s risk of a further stroke as he has severe anxiety and depression, high blood pressure, prior brain trauma and physical disability. and gets very upset when feeling his health issues are not believed.
My feeling is that I only need to notify them of improvement in capabilities. Would you agree, or feel I should write saying he had a stroke?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #237549 by Gordon
mia

I can't tell you that you do not need to notify them but the reality is that the DWP is not going to be bothered if you do not tell them of a deterioration but be aware, if you do not and a future reassessment makes a higher award then you will not receive any back dated payments.

If you do notify the DWP then it will almost certainly result in a new ESA and PIP2 being sent, probably at the same time and face to face assessments for both would also be likely.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mia, alisp

More
4 years 7 months ago #237557 by mia
Thank you Gordon, I am very grateful for the fast response and reassured my decision is correct as there is no additional deterioration and I also feel 2 medical assessment appointments would be the only DWP response. Much appreciated.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.