× Members

A thank you and assessment

More
4 years 7 months ago #237564 by trainingisgood
A thank you and assessment was created by trainingisgood
Firstly Gordon many thanks for your advice on my brother-in-law applying for PIP which he successfully receives now.

Can I just ask a couple of questions. I am due a guaranteed minimum pension when I’m 60 which is in two years time will this affect my ESA benefit. I am currently in the support group and receive around £235 every two weeks.

My next concern is I have not received an assessment since 2017 and am dreading the the thought on another one. I don’t want to alert the DWP., but obviously want to be prepared as nothing has changed with my condition.

Kind regards Spitfire

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #237587 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic A thank you and assessment
trainingisgood

Do you need to take the pension when you reach 60?

Whether it will affect your ESA will depend on the type of ESA you receive, how you take the pension and how much it is?

If you are only receiving Contribution Based ESA then a lump sum will not affect your ESA but a regular payment will. If the pension is more then £85/week then there will be a £1/week deduction for every £2 in excess of the £85.

If you are receiving any Income Related ESA, either in part or in whole, then it will affect your ESA.

First, there is an assets and savings rule if you take a lump sum, see

Asset and savings rule for ESA(IR)

Secondly, any regular payments will be deducted £ for £ from any ESA(IR) that you receive.

If the ESA(IR) is fully eroded then you will lose access to passported benefits such as free prescriptions and dental care.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.