× Members

Headscratching with regard to ESA and Housing.

More
4 years 5 months ago #238257 by Rob1
Hi All,
Appreciate Housing Benefit questions are not dealt with on the Forum, but now my Mum has passed I am going to need to claim "help with housing costs" I am currently in claim for ESA (IR) and in support group and also on DLA although this "might" change to PIP in coming weeks. Am I right in saying that I will have to claim Universal Credit to get help with rent?
If I claim Universal Credit for help with rent do I just go ahead and do it without informing ESA?
Will my ESA stop and go over to Universal Credit?
Will I be assessed again( I haven't got an assessment due)
"IF" I get awarded PIP in the future will this be paid seperately to Universal Credit?
Sorry for the "barrage" of questions which I am sure have been asked before in some form.
Kind Regards,
Rob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #238263 by Gary
Hi Rob

Before applying for UC check your entitlement to SDP.

First question to ask is, do you live on your own?
Second question to ask is, do you receive middle rate care component of DLA?
Third question to ask is, does any one claim carers allowance for you?

If the answer is yes to first two questions and no to the third question then you need to contact ESA enquiry line 0800 169 0310 and apply for Severe Disability Premium (SDP), once you get the SDP then you can apply for Housing Benefit.

If you are not sure what to do then contact your local welfare rights unit or Citizens Advice.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob1

More
4 years 5 months ago #238268 by Rob1
Hi Gary,
Hi Gary,
Of the three questions
1.I do live on my own
2 Only lower rate care for DLA (could change "IF" PIP is awarded) but would be to late for my current housing cost requirements/needs.
3. No one gets Carers Alowance for me.
So it looks like Universal Credit is my only option :(
What answers could you give me to the questions below, if possible.
1. If I claim Universal Credit for help with rent do I just go ahead and do it without informing ESA?
2. Will my ESA stop and go over to Universal Credit?
3. Will I be assessed again( I haven't got an assessment due)
4."IF" I get awarded PIP in the future will this be paid seperately to Universal Credit?
Kind Regards,
Rob.

More
4 years 5 months ago #238269 by Gordon
Rob

No, it does not look like you are barred from claiming UC so you will need to claim it to receive any HB.

1. If your ESA is Income Related in part or in whole then you will need to contact the DWP office dealing with your claim or you risk a recoverable overpayment of your ESA and UC being paid for the same period.

2. Yes, any ESA(IR) award will be moved to UC, however, this is a manual process and can take at least two weeks to complete, you may need to chase your JC+ office to complete it.

3. Only if your current award is due to be reassessed,

4. Yes, PIP is not a UC benefit and is awarded and paid separately.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob1

More
4 years 5 months ago #238274 by Rob1
Hi Gordon,
Thank you for an informed response you have put my mind at ease.
Kind Regards,
Rob.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.