× Members

PIP awarded while waiting for tribunal date!

More
4 years 5 months ago #238541 by NotActuallyCrazy
PIP awarded while waiting for tribunal date! was created by NotActuallyCrazy
Hi everyone! I was at the stage of waiting for a tribunal to fight for my mobility component to go from standard to enhanced based on only being able to walk in pain and with breathlessness, racing heart etc. I got an email today to say the tribunal case has been closed as the DWP have changed their decision in my favour! I called to confirm as I couldn't believe it!

They say it's "based on the new information I provided" however I had only sent what they already had from my mandatory reconsideration. It was a lot of information, including citing case law about walking through pain/symptoms as well as letters from others in my life. I also used the guide on this website to show that the woman assessing me was not qualified to understand chronic illness or my rare and complex illness. I also stated that she had not asked me about my walking or observed me as she walked ahead to the room. I pretty much went through absolutely everything I could to discredit her assessment and prove my case.

I didn't even know there was a chance to have the decision overturned before appearing personally at the tribunal so I'm sharing this in hope that it helps others. I'm not sure what I did right, if anything, but I'm autistic so tend to provide waaaay more detail than anyone ever needs... I think maybe it helped in this situation.

I wish everyone else the best in this horrible journey and thank you to those who helped me work out what the DWP may need so I could cover all my bases. I wouldn't have got this far without this site!

If anyone has any questions about what I did, let me know. It could have been dumb luck but if I can help at all I'm happy to!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #238552 by Gary
Well done NotActuallyCrazy, congratulations on your award, it shows others not to give up, that there is hope and to believe in yourself.

Tags: @RESULT @MR @PIP

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 5 months ago #238566 by Becky
Really pleased for you :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 5 months ago #238599 by chopsuey
Replied by chopsuey on topic PIP awarded while waiting for tribunal date!
Hi - I’m really glad you didn’t have to go through the stress of a tribunal! Please can you tell me what the case law is you referred to about walking through pain/symptoms as it would be very helpful with my son’s case
Many thanks

More
4 years 5 months ago #238609 by Gary
Hi chopsuey

Pipinfo website is an adviser guide to personal independence payment regulations & case law which you may find useful.

pipinfo.net

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: chopsuey

More
4 years 5 months ago #238632 by IanR
Dear NotActuallyCrazy

I was just preparing to write a lengthy post with ideas for you to consider whilst preparing for your tribunal when I came across your post above.

For the benefit of anybody else reading this, may I just say that this is not a case of dumb luck. You obviously researched and prepared your case very, very well. I agree that providing lots and lots of information probably helped in your case.

Superb news and very well done. I am absolutely delighted for you - I am grinning from ear to ear. Now, do your best to forget all the stress you have had to go through over the past weeks/months and get on with your life.

Ian (not a sexist whatever you say)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.