× Members

Ringing to make appointment for PIP assessment

More
4 years 6 months ago #238856 by judethepud
Hi
I am my husband’s Carer. He suffers from extreme anxiety, so I deal with everything on his behalf. I recently completed a PIP review form, as his current award expires next March. A text came to my phone this morning, inviting him to make an appointment for a face-to-face assessment. (For obvious reasons, I don’t supply his mobile number, but mine instead).
I rang to make an appointment, and was wondering when would be the best time to tell him about this situation, as he will go into a state of extreme anxiety and panic as soon as he becomes aware of it. Unbelievably, I was told that they (the company formerly known as ATOS) cannot make the appointment with me, unless my husband is here with me, and aware that I’m doing so! This seems unnecessarily cruel and pointless. I explained the situation, but was told nothing could be done. I’m caught between a rock and a hard place, because, although I want to get the appointment made, and get the assessment over and done, I cannot bear having to tell my husband so early in the process. Is there any way round this? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #238858 by Gordon
Jude

I'm afraid you have not legal right to act on behalf of your husband on this matter and you cannot change this in the short term.

Do you have restrictions on the dates or times that he can attend an assessment? If not then you can just wait for ATOS to send him an appointment but if you do then I can;' see any way to avoid involving him in the process.

In the longer term, you could become his appointee, this would give you authority to act on his behalf in these matters and without any need to involve. See

www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #238861 by judethepud
Replied by judethepud on topic Ringing to make appointment for PIP assessment
Many thanks, Gordon. I thought that, if we (I) didn’t follow up on the text invitation to ring and make an appointment ASAP, my husband’s PIP might be stopped! So I can wait, and they will just send him one? Do you think they might now use this as an excuse to give him an appointment further away from home. The text said that they have appointments ‘in our area in the next 7 days’, if my husband would like to ring.
I wish I’d known sooner about the opportunity to become an ‘appointee’. That’s very useful to know now. Thank you.

More
4 years 6 months ago #238865 by Gordon
Jude

Yes, they will send an appointment, I don't believe your phoning will have any impact on this.

As an aside, you did not need to respond to the text, they are trying to fill open slots in their assessor's diaries, claimants do not have to take these short notice appointments.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: judethepud

More
4 years 6 months ago #238966 by judethepud
Replied by judethepud on topic Ringing to make appointment for PIP assessment
Gordon, I now find that they are sending me a text daily! Is this ‘normal’? (I suppose I mean ‘usual’, as there is nothing ‘normal’ about it!). I’m so glad I didn’t give them my husband’s mobile number! When I was ill myself, (not long ago) I’d have felt harassed. Luckily, I can ignore them now, and am grateful for your explanation above.

More
4 years 6 months ago #238968 by BIS
Hi Jude,

It is only 'normal' in that they are obviously trying to get you to accept a short notice appointment. Just ignore them. (I know that's not easy!)

BIS

The following user(s) said Thank You: judethepud, alisp

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.