× Members

Reviewing your benefits & circumstances letter

More
4 years 6 months ago #238860 by LordElpus
i wonder if anyone can help me please?

I have been on DLA and subsequently PIP standard care for the last couple of years since my mobility component was removed despite an appeal.
I am nearly 66 yrs of age and am currently in receipt of both my ‘old age’ pension in addition to my Police Retirement pension. I receive no other benefits at all.

I have just received a letter from the DWP stating “we need to talk to you about some changes that may affect your benefits payments. You must be available for this interview ...” etc.

Apart from bringing along some ID, the letter is asking me to provide the following documents;

Your latest bank, building society or Post Office account statements
Your latest statement from your pension provider
If you’re working - your most recent payslips (I am fully retired and don’t work)
Statements of any individual ISA’s or PEP’s. ( I have neither)
Details of any other savings or investments, such as National Saving Crtificates, Premium Bonds, Income Bonds or Capital Bonds. ( I have none of these)
Details of any property or land you own, other than where you live now (I have a small parcel of land still to be sold from my previous permanent residence)
Evidence of your immigrations status and Right to Remain documents if you are not a British National (not applicable, born here)
This letter, which you should show to a member of staff when you arrive.

If you have a partner you will need to bring the same information for them.

If, as I believe, that I am correct in stating that a PIP award (benefit) is not means tested, I am at a loss to understand why I am being asked for this financial information if it has no bearing on my benefit. The fact that it also requires details of my partners income, savings etc., makes me very concerned as to what they are trying to achieve, and if I am required to divulge my partners finances, especially as they are not asking for her attendance.

My partner is in receipt of the Higher Rate PIP for both care & mobility but since I took my old age pension I no longer get carers allowance for attending to her needs.

There is nothing else that has ‘changed’ in my circumstances so I am at a loss as to why this letter has come now.

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening and why now, and can they advise on what to expect at the meeting?

I live near Lincoln in Lincolnshire.

Many thanks,

Gary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #238864 by Gordon
G

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Are you or your partner claiming Pension Credit? This would necessitate the information that is being requested but if you are not the I agree, I can't see any reason why this information is being requested, all I can suggest is that you contact the DWP for an explanation.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #238867 by LordElpus
Replied by LordElpus on topic Reviewing your benefits & circumstances letter
Neither of us claim pension credit. On my pension we wouldn't be entitled anyway.

I will ring them as you suggest.

Many thanks,

Gary.

More
4 years 6 months ago #238937 by LordElpus
Replied by LordElpus on topic Reviewing your benefits & circumstances letter
I had a conversation with the DWP representative this morning.

The representative, after the formalities, asked me a very straightforward question, “have you had a recent disagreement with a neighbour by any chance?” To which I replied in the affirmative.

I will not bore you with the details but it would appear that my neighbour has reported me to the DWP because in his words, and it is a he, “he has a blue badge and he is not disabled and he is also quite capable of erecting his own awning of his caravan, plus he works for another neighbour, called Christine, by mowing her grass and does other jobs”. The mention of my other neighbours name ensured that I knew exactly who had reported me!!

It turns out that the DWP representative is a retired Police Officer, like me, and we discussed the situation, that my circumstances haven’t changed and, as we agreed, PIP is not means tested so if I want to work for someone within my abilities, that is not an issue. However, the reason they acted on his complaint was because their records show I claimed Carers Allowance for my wife which, since I qualified for and receive my state pension, I no longer receive. So in one sense my neighbour has done me a small favour in that my records with the DWP will now show I do not receive carers allowance.

The representative finalised the call by saying the matter will be closed and he apologised for the distress I had been caused by a false report, which was becoming more and more common, sadly.

The advice to speak to the DWP was spot on, and thank goodness I got a decent, understanding and professional DWP representative.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.